Friends Setup Has Issue

evanlp

Commendable
Jul 2, 2016
MOBO: ASRock X370 Gaming K4 FATAL1TY
GPU: MSI Gaming GeForce GTX 1070 8GB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X
RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x8GB (16GB) DDR4 2933mhz (CMR16GX4M2Z2933C16)

One of my friends just bought a new Ryzen rig and ran into a problem. It seems after he installs everything and boots it up. He gets the error codes in this sequence "3E" "14" "15" and "CO" on the Dr. Debug on the mobo. Tried to follow the NO POST thread and nothing seemed to fix it because it seems to be an obvious compatibility issue or a faulty part according to the Dr. Debug. I read online that the codes mean it might have something to do with the CPU or memory but I tried all the troubleshooting methods to solve it. I personally think it might be the BIOS being out of date and needs to be flashed but I'm clueless on how to do that with a mobo that doesn't boot. Might go ahead and try to connect his Ryzen CPU into my x370 Gaming Pro Carbon to verify that the CPU works. Any suggestions would help. ASRock support is a joke and finding out what codes meant was a pain.

Solution

Yes, and if it works you can use it to update the bios so the 2600x will work on it.

bignastyid

Titan
What bios rev is the motherboard running? The 2000 series requires a bios update on the 300 series chipsets. If the board has an older bios the system will not complete post.

Since that board doesn't support a feature like usb bios flashback you will need a compatible cpu(1000 series Ryzen or 7th gen apu) to flash the bios

evanlp

Commendable
Jul 2, 2016

As I feared, it seems to be running on rev 1.03

evanlp

Commendable
Jul 2, 2016

Thanks a lot, I'll let you know how it goes.

evanlp

Commendable
Jul 2, 2016

After installing my CPU into his mobo, the motherboard started to flash many error codes that I couldn't catch. Tried resetting the CMOS and trying my own RAM as well, nothing. Might have some local PC shop take a look at it. Really weird, might have to replace the mobo and get an x470