From $100 To $160: Five Z68-Based Boards, Compared

Status
Not open for further replies.

compton

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
I temporarily used a Biostar TH67+ 1155 mobo until I picked up my new board. After seeing the description of the Z chipset's Graphical UEFI I checked Biostar's website. It looks as though they're released the graphical UEFI for all biostar 1155 mobos.

Now I just wish Intel would do the same -- can't they just rip off Asus's UEFI implementation?

johnnyb_27

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011
Why not use the MSI's Z68A-G65 instead of the MSI's Z68A-G55? They were the same price but now the drop MSI's Z68A-GD55 to 154 before rebate.

hatethisbull

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011
90% of this article could've been compressed into the summary page. I would've preferred to see comparisons between, say, a $70 h67 and a high-end z68. Instead of four pages of unsatisfying gaming benchmarks, how about focusing on board usability? Which of the boards have cheap PCI-E retention clips that are going to pop off on first use? Which ones will have blocked ports, etc.

The Greater Good

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
[citation][nom]vilenjan[/nom]What about looks? The gigabyte board looks so meh, while the MSI board is sexy![/citation]

Do you stare into your case whilst computing, or do you look at the monitor?

aznguy0028

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
[citation][nom]The Greater Good[/nom]Do you stare into your case whilst computing, or do you look at the monitor?[/citation]
I look into my case daily when I use the computer. There's a reason why there is a window, and hours of hard work for your perfect wiring job deserves much credit and to be stared at. Not to mention coloring schemes that matches your case/mobo pcb color/fan led colors/etc.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]johnnyb_27[/nom]Why not use the MSI's Z68A-G65 instead of the MSI's Z68A-G55? They were the same price but now the drop MSI's Z68A-GD55 to 154 before rebate.[/citation]MSI picked the GD55 because it's SUPPOSED to cost $160. MSI did NOT pick the GD65 because it's SUPPOSED to cost $180. MSI's predictions from a few weeks back simply didn't pan out.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]jerreddredd[/nom]isn't it time we lost the PS2 port? and maybe even the DB15 VGA port also?[/citation]Not PS/2, just VGA. They leave the Multi-I/O controller on the board for compatibility in other areas, so PS/2 is "free" and some people still use it at the high end.

Some cheap monitors still use VGA, but these boards are not for the budget market! For VGA compatibility (for external capture devices and such) they could just use DVI-I and let the oddball user who needs VGA for that oddball purpose supply his own adapter.

joshyboy82

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
I have been recommending this board based on other reviews and specs in the forum to people and I always get undermined by some guy who tells me he doesn't really like Gigabyte and z68 is just a fad. I am going to repost the shit out of this conclusion on my build recommendations.

spookyman

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011
[citation][nom]jerreddredd[/nom]isn't it time we lost the PS2 port? and maybe even the DB15 VGA port also?[/citation]

Actually I like the PS/2 port for my keyboard. I have an old 1983 PS/2 IBM 101 keyboard that I still use. Still the most rock solid keyboard that is comfortable to use and its built like a tank. Best part of the keyboard, no "Windows" keys.

jerreddredd

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010

Ok, I guess leaving the Keyboard PS2 port might be ok. I figured everyone moved to USB by now. I think I still have an old PS2 KB laying around. I do remember the feel of the full stroke keys and mechanical contacts. mmmm maybe I should dig it out on day.

torque79

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
I read through the specs twice, and I still can't find Bluetooth mentioned. The ASRock board is listed as a "pro" version, does that have bluetooth? You know lots of people have cell phones that synch contacts and calendar using bluetooth right? I have a hard time beleiving none of the TH reviewers don't, so why is it never listed in your motherboard shootouts? In another recent (higher-end) motherboard shootout it was also missing.

davewolfgang

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010

Actually "most" people (as you put it) sync using a USB cable, because then they can CHARGE the phone at the same time. You can't charge your phone using BlueT. So why charge using a USB cable plugged into a wall outlet converter plug (I haven't seen a phone that doesn't come with this in the past 2+ years), and then have to go the BlueT thing, when you can just plug that USB cable right INTO your computer and Charge and Sync at the same time.

torque79

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
Because then you have to have your cell phone charging at your pc, and your pc must be turned on. Surely I'm not the only person in the world that finds both of these restrictions inconvenient.

davewolfgang

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010

Since you actually need to power your computer ON for it to Sync in the first place.....................................

crisan_tiberiu

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
I am the owner of 1 Asrock Z68 Pro 3 MB. It is enaugh for me. I dont need an extra PciE x 16 slot, 2 x Sata 3 its enaugh for me, and the overclock is decent (i have the i7 2600 k, but seriously, i dont need to OC it yet ^^). Only one thing, i dont know where did u get those temps for the Z68 pro, mine isnt that hot (its between 8 -10 C over ambient...not over 20 like you said

Status
Not open for further replies.