From i7 920 (no oc) to i7 7700k/Rysen, worth it?

Albert Fox

Reputable
Jul 21, 2015
Hello,

I have the same motherboard, ram and cpu for 7 years.

I7 920, 2.67 Ghz (without overclocking)
Asus P6T SE
12 GB RAM

Just update the gpu a couple of years ago (I have a GFX Nvidia EVGA 780)

I'm noticing a bit of slowness in some programs (3d, photoshop, work in design and render also etc) I don't know if that's it. I think I should upgrade! do you think I'll notice any performance improvement? Is't a good time to do it now that they have released the new Rysen processors?

I would like to know your opinion.
I would be interested in some good new cpu in a range of 300-450 €
Obviously I will have to change the motherboard and the ram too.

Thank you,
Have a nice day,

Solution
Absolutely worth it , the 920 was a great CPU in its day.That day was close to a decade ago !!
You'll be running slow ram, only sata 2 at best , no USB 3 etc etc - all factors in the system actually being slower than any current setup - that's without taking into account the fact that the 920 is easily beaten by even a 5 year old budget fx 6300 or similar.

Wait till April 11 for the ryzen 5 to drop.
€400 budget will just about get you a 6 core 12 threaded 1600 , a board & 8 GB ram.
For productivity use like yours , I can't see anything touching it on a price to performance ratio.
Absolutely worth it , the 920 was a great CPU in its day.That day was close to a decade ago !!
You'll be running slow ram, only sata 2 at best , no USB 3 etc etc - all factors in the system actually being slower than any current setup - that's without taking into account the fact that the 920 is easily beaten by even a 5 year old budget fx 6300 or similar.

Wait till April 11 for the ryzen 5 to drop.
€400 budget will just about get you a 6 core 12 threaded 1600 , a board & 8 GB ram.
For productivity use like yours , I can't see anything touching it on a price to performance ratio.

Solution
yes just like madmatt30 said, april 11th the new ryzen 5 comes out you could get the 219$ ryzen 5 1600 (6 core 12threads) or the 189$ ryzen 5 1500x (4 cores 8 threads). The 1600 would be better for rendering etc due to 2 extra cores and 4 extra threads. The 1500x wont be a slouch either though :) Both will fall perfectly fine within in your budget including a motherboard and ram.