Question Front audio jack on PC is nothing but static when using a microphone ?

KatD4ddy

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2015
just built a new pc and When ever I plug my headset into the front audio and microphone jack i get nothing but a loud static when i talk. if I just use the audio jack and not microphone there is no static in the headset and i hear just fine, but obviously cannot use a mic. Now when i plug into the back speaker jacks, it works great. There is no static coming from the microphone when plugged in to back speaker jacks which seems odd. I'm really stumped here. I downloaded nvidia and updated all the drivers but that didnt help? If someone could point me in the right direction that would be great!

Build specs:
Case: Bitfenix Nova Mesh TG
Motherboard: Msi B450G Gaming Pro Carbon Max WiFi
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
PSU: EVGA 500 GD 500w
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1650
SSD: HP EX900 M.2 NVMe 500gb
RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB 16gb (two sticks of 8gb)

KatD4ddy

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2015
saw a bunch of forums saying to move the cabled around etc. The simple fix was going to control panel-sound-microphone-advance- then change to 2 channel 16 bit 192000 hz.
Dont know why or how, but that literally fixed it. hopefully this helps anyone with the same issues

sirlouie

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
saw a bunch of forums saying to move the cabled around etc. The simple fix was going to control panel-sound-microphone-advance- then change to 2 channel 16 bit 192000 hz.
Dont know why or how, but that literally fixed it. hopefully this helps anyone with the same issues
OMG thank you so much, this was exactly the problem! On my Windows 11 system it was System -> Sound -> Properties for the microphone (click the microphone on the Input section) -> Format section.