[SOLVED] Front mesh intake Vs Side vents ?

kdonkov

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2014
So during my process of picking out PC parts for my new computer, i came cross dozens and dozens of cases that have a completely shut front side (most of them with a glass panel) and some small vents on the (front) side of the case.
Example: https://www.deepcool.com/ProductGallery/DEEPCOOL/Cases/MATREXX_50/Gallery/800X480/01.jpg

For some reason i am extremely sceptical about case designs like this because to me logic would suggest a bigger front intake surface = more air = more cooling of the system.
Is there some sort of test or evidence in existence that proves one is better than the other or there is no difference at all ?

Reactions: punkyfish
Solution
As long as the side-front vents are appropriately sized (this is also a function of airflow restriction through the openings depending on what material is in the opening) it's not a big deal. However, it usually results in an airflow restriction compared to a mesh front panel.

I have a Silverstone PS07 which has a door in the front and the side openings. The openings are ON BOTH SIDES (some cases on have openings on one side) and are about 1" (25mm) deep, which I would say is average. The openings are completely open because the fan filter screen is arched over the two front fans inside the door compartment. Therefore, I'm getting very little airflow resistance through my openings compared to cases that have the screen in the...
As long as the side-front vents are appropriately sized (this is also a function of airflow restriction through the openings depending on what material is in the opening) it's not a big deal. However, it usually results in an airflow restriction compared to a mesh front panel.

I have a Silverstone PS07 which has a door in the front and the side openings. The openings are ON BOTH SIDES (some cases on have openings on one side) and are about 1" (25mm) deep, which I would say is average. The openings are completely open because the fan filter screen is arched over the two front fans inside the door compartment. Therefore, I'm getting very little airflow resistance through my openings compared to cases that have the screen in the openings.

If I even crack open the door 1/2" while I'm gaming, my GPU temps/noise is noticeably improved.

I have two fixed-rpm front intake fans. One of them is an "static pressure optimized" fan which still blows a bunch of air, and the other is a balance between SP and airflow.

Solution