[SOLVED] Front mounted AIO, intake or exhaust?

FoxInFlames

Prominent
Jan 3, 2022
First of all, my specs
CPU:- Intel core I7 12700F

Mobo:- Asus prime B660 plus D4

RAM:- Gskill Tridentz RGB 3600MHz (16GB X 4)

GPU:- Inno3D GeForce RTX 3080Ti X3 OC

PSU:- NZXT C850

Chassis:- Deepcool CL500 4F

Now, my question

The 3080Ti here starts at a peaceful 32 degrees on bootup and keeps going up till the 57 mark (at idle, mind), running a 3dmark shows no issues (the GPU keeps at 100% all the time through the two GPU tests, though it staggered a bit at 99% midway) but the temperatures were kinda hot (78 degrees), i felt the air pressure with the palm of my hand at intake and exhaust and it seems my case is going through negative air pressure (exhaust air volume is much more than intake, if the term i used was incorrect).

here's the current airflow of my PC (it seems a bit cramped, doesn't it?)
IMG-20221223-114532.jpg

my question, would it be better for my top and rear fans to be intake and the radiator as exhaust? That would allow sufficient air intake for the GPU (albeit from the top) and the exhaust would pull out the hot air from the radiator anyways?

Colif

Win 11 Master
I don't think it makes any difference. I just checked case has a mesh front = https://global.deepcool.com/products/Cases/fulltowercases/2020/4664.shtml

gpu generally doesn't care where the radiator is, its temps unaffected by air coming in through one.

how many exhaust fans do you have?

I just replaced my case fans with 3 Noctuas and temps seem a little better, nvme is 6c cooler. I haven't tried games yet as GPU is next step in upgrade process.
OP087nJ.jpg

You could fill case with exhaust fans since you use an AIO for CPU.
front is intake, top and rear are exhausts.

Colif

Win 11 Master
You have 3 in and 3 out, all same size. So it could be you have balanced air flow pattern. that is the hardest to get right.. I wonder if you be better off removing the top front exhaust.. it could let air get to rear of case and would mean you have positive air flow which blows all the heat out of case.

could just unplug it from board and see if it makes any difference.

My intakes are only 120's but my 3 exhausts are 140 so I have negative air pressure, it generally works in my case.

FoxInFlames

Prominent
Jan 3, 2022
Well, i did some tinkering

Somehow pulling from the radiator instead of pushing air through it made my GPU 3 degrees cooler (maybe, just maybe because now one 120mm fan is throwing air right into it's face?)

Unplugging the top two 120mm fans didn't work, it made the temperature go 1.5 degrees higher again (compared to previous scenario)

CPU always stayed quite peaceful, with 30-33 degrees throughout the GPU test and a max of 53 on the cpu test

Colif

Win 11 Master
CPU has a 360mm radiator keeping it cool, its the GPU that doesn't seem to breath all that well.

Having fans on inside at least does bring the fans closer to rest of hardware. On outside they just cooling the CPU. IN my case the AIO fans so far from current GPU they don't do anything unless I increase AIO fan speed. My new gpu is 8cm longer than current one so it might get some air from it.

FoxInFlames

Prominent
Jan 3, 2022
I guess that's just because my chassis doesn't support more than two 120mm fans at the top (and it is therefore less wider than the standard chassis) so the distance between the fans and the gpu is very small (think around 5 cm)
IMG20221223153956.jpg

In any case, thanks for the help

FoxInFlames

Prominent
Jan 3, 2022
It's a boon for heavy graphics cards i guess, I've seen some motherboards warp due to the added weight,therefore some companies even ship such stands (not like this one, but sturdy enough to get the job done) with their GPU (MSI suprim X series is an example)