[SOLVED] Front Panel Header - Guessing Game

Chris_6

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2014
the motherboard i ordered comes from china without a manual, the pins on the front panel header are not labeled, i am blind without a map, see here. What if i plugged something wrong there, could i mess everything up? or can i just keep trying until I get it right and it works? lol

Last edited:
No, you won't mess anything up with wrong pins as long as you are only working with the HDD LED, power LED, reset switch, power switch, (and is some cases) speaker. Just make sure you aren't mistakenly messing with a USB header. The switches (reset and power) don't matter with regards to + or -. The LEDs do. Have fun!

Pro tip: If you are familiar with electronics and PC components, you can quickly find the power and reset pins by systematically grounding pairs of pins with a screwdriver. Of course, you need a steady hand - don't touch anything but the motherboard header pins!

Chris_6

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2014
Thanks guys, there is enough of you for a definitive answer! and i found the front panel header map, it was way up above the video card between the CPU and memory lol. good place, hey? ;) lol
What you think of my awesome mobo? ;) lol

Last edited:

mc_spaceman

Reputable
Aug 6, 2019
Thanks guys, there is enough of you for a definitive answer! and i found the front panel header map, it was way up above the video card between the CPU and memory lol. good place, hey? ;) lol
What you think of my awesome mobo? ;) lol

i honestly spent about 5 minutes looking over the board trying to make out anything in how fuzzy the image quality was. i completely overlooked that part of the board. weird place for it to be labeled. i hope the link i posted for the pin-out helped. cheers!

Chris_6

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2014
Ya thanks for that, but all it did was confuse me more haha ;)

One last question, there is 2 audio pin slots on the mobo , F_AUDIO1 and SPEAKER
It looks like my HD Audio would still fit in F_AUDIO1 but looks like the motherboard is missing 2 pins instead of 1... i don't know if that makes a difference or if it matters if it's HD or not?
Can anyone help me again please? :p

AUDIO-PANEL.png

Last edited:

Chris_6

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2014
Audio-Pins.png

what do you mean by this:
"2 pins can not deliver Stereo, so yes broken pins or for PC speaker(beeps) "

I have two Sets of Headphones and Microphone in the front of my PC, with two separate cords. One included in the case and one to a separate 5 1/4" front panel. This is 1 picture, the other picture 2 posts above is the other one.

The speaker plug is 4 pins in a row, i think it's for a real speaker for the mobo beep (i seen one in a video)

Both the Audo and HD Audio Cords have 9 out of 10 pin holes, the F_AUDIO1 on my soon to be motherboard has 8 pins (shown in this post picture and the one 2 posts above)

Anyway, the mobo says ALC662 5.1 channel, i looked it up and it looks like it is definitely HD Audio, I really don't see a problem hooking the HD Audio cord from the front of the PC and putting it in F_AUDIO1. This HD Audio chip, it's not gonna be different for the front and back of the pc, correct? This motherboard, it will not even come with a user manual lol.

Last edited: