Question Front Panel Power switch

Eamonn100

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
I'm having trouble with my front panel on/off button. Sometimes when I put the PC into sleep or off mode the button won't turn on the PC without a full mains shut down.

So I want to unplug, examine and then plug back in the little front panel power switch to see if that solves my problem.

My question is... it's not coming out with finger tip grip... what do folks use to get a good grip on them, as they are small and I'm guessing delicate?

Are there type of pliers used. Parallel pliers or something like that?

Lutfij

Titan
You can move the connector side to side as you pull away from the connector/headers on the motherboard. Just an FYI, you might want to reconsider pointing the finger at the switch. Chances are that board/system settings aren't set to wake from sleep.

+ No, no pliers need using. You might want to attach a video of your connector/case front panel just in case you have something out of the ordinary.

Eamonn100

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
You can move the connector side to side as you pull away from the connector/headers on the motherboard. Just an FYI, you might want to reconsider pointing the finger at the switch. Chances are that board/system settings aren't set to wake from sleep.

+ No, no pliers need using. You might want to attach a video of your connector/case front panel just in case you have something out of the ordinary.
" Chances are that board/system settings aren't set to wake from sleep."... sometimes it does wake up sometimes it doesn't. The same with off mode.

Eamonn100

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020

"You might want to attach a video of your connector/case front panel just in case you have something out of the ordinary."...

Ok, I will tomorrow... I'm about to fall asleep. Thanks.

Sep 1, 2024
To remove and reattach the front panel power switch, you can use needle-nose pliers or tweezers. Needle-nose pliers are particularly useful for gripping small, delicate connectors without causing damage. Just be sure to handle the components gently to avoid any accidental harm.

For more help with hardware issues, including how to manage delicate PC components, check out this guide on fixing msmpeng.exe.

An easier way to test the switch is to use a multimeter set to ohms (resistance). Remove the switch's 2 prong header from the motherboard and place one probe to each pin of the plug. It should read OL indicating no conductivity. Now press and hold the power button switch. The meter should read 0 meaning full conductivity. If it does then your switch and wiring are fine and the fault lies elsewhere.

First check to see that the front panel pwr switch pair are solidly connected to the motherboard front panel header pins.
Test the pwr on/off function by shorting the two pins yourself.
If that works ok, then your switch or the cables may be defective.
Your case maker may be able to supply a replacement part.
But, as an alternative, buy a remote front panel switch like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Computer-AZM...efix=remote+front+panel+switch,aps,167&sr=8-5