Front panel USB port issue

jon jones bach

Reputable
Mar 27, 2014
I've just completed my first PC build, rough spec being

Case: Zalman Z3
MB: Asus M5 A97 R2.0
CPU: FX-6300

I have an issue with one of the front/top panel USB2 ports, in that only some of my USB devices work when connected to this particular port (e.g. Samsung portable hard drive works, as does a card reader).

Two identical (and ancient), DELL USB keys, one works, doesn't.

All devices are being detected by Windows, where the device manager usually displays the device as USB Mass Storage device, with a yellow exclamation mark besides it.
Usually the device properties is listed as This device cannot start. (Code 10).

I've tried uninstalling/re-scanning hardware changes, this doesn't work.

If the device is then connected to the other USB2 port (which connects via the same header on the motherboard), it works without any issues. This applies to all the devices which fail to work with this particular port.

This is not restricted to pen/hard drives, as my USB wireless adapter also fails to work in this port.
When connected there is no Internet access (i.e. no wireless connection).
Strangely the adapter is listed under the safely eject hardware menu, and can be safely ejected!

In summary, only a number of devices work on a particular USB2 port, whilst all devices work on the other USB2 port which is connected to the same header on the motherboard.

Whilst not a show stopper, a very strange situation and any help appreciated.

Regards
jon jones bach

jon jones bach

Reputable
Mar 27, 2014
Thanks, this did cross my mind, but seeing as though some devices work on it dismissed it.
I've since tried rebooting the PC using a bootable USB drive, attached to this port, the boot menu doesn't see the device.
Of course it works again in another port.

I've now contacted the retailer, see what they come back with.