Frustrated, all games crash in Windows 10, tried everything I can think of

Nov 6, 2018
I'm hoping someone here can help me solve this issue which I just cannot find an answer to....

Firstly my specs:

Motherboard: Asus Maximus Hero VIII - On latest Bios - made no difference

CPU: Skylake I7 6700

Ram: 4x8gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4

GPU: EVGA Geforce 980ti 6GB

PSU: Corsair AX860i

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100 Water Cooler

SSD: Samsung M2 - MZHPV512HDGL-00000 - OS installed here

HDD: 3TB Seagate

Using onboard sound

So this was a great system but ever since upgrading to windows 10 about 18 months ago (legit copy btw) I've had many issues with games crashing randomly but recently it's got worse. So bad almost all games crash within 5-10 mins. Sometimes the entire rig freezes up with a repeating sound effect of whatever was happening in the game, some games crash to desktop with a GPU driver crash. Sometimes it's a brown screen crash, sometimes just a lock up.

All drivers are up to date. I even did a total reformat and install 2 weeks ago which didn't fix it.

Motherboard is at stock settings at the moment, it had previously been overclocked.

I've monitored the GPU temps and I'm confident it's not overheating, few crashes were at less than 50 degrees.

I've disassembled, cleaned dust out and reassembled.

I've tried memtest on the ram and all seems good.

I'm out of ideas, I'm leaning towards a GPU issue but with temps being okay and some crashes to desktop rather than system lockup then I'm unsure. I don't have access to another rig to test components out.

Any advice please? Like I say it was fine on Windows 8, ever since Windows 10 it's been a pain but in the past I could go hours with no issue so I didn't pursue it too much. Now it's unsuable for games.

Nov 6, 2018

I've done better than that, installed windows 8.1 as a dual boot, games run absolutely fine there no crashes at all. As I suspect this is a windows 10 issue but I'm struggling to pinpoint it.

TRENDING THREADS