It seems like everytime I do a Windows Update or an XP update my computer
runs worse than before. The updates I'm referring to are security updates.
I don't want my computer to be at risk of a virus or someone getting
information about me that they shouldn't have but it is no fun having
security that interferes with the features I have come to expect. Such as,
I no longer get graphics with my e-mails. If there are suppose to be some
sort of pictures, I just get little boxes with red X's in them. And I used
to love to play Boxerjam. I just spent the entire evening & I mean 3 hours
trying to get it to work again. I've tried resetting my security setting
and privacy settings but I'm obviously not all that bright when it comes to
things like this and I don't really know how to get around all the new road
blocks. So here is my question, In Oct. I downloaded several highly
recommended security updates such as a Cumulative Security Update for
Internet Explorer for Windows XP Service Pack 2 and Microsoft.NET Framework
1.1 Service Pack 1. Should I un-install one of these? If so, which one?
Should I go back further and un-install Windows XP service Pack 2? I don't
remember exactly when I started having trouble and I'd like to only
un-install whatever I have to in order to get my computer to function
normally. Sorry I'm not more specific, I just don't know how to describe my
computer problems. I sincerely appreciate any help I get. Thanks.

Sandee

We feel your pain.

Truth is, both users and developers need to adjust to the new,
security-conscious reality. There's no way around it. In a similar fashion,
all of us need to adjust to the post-9/11 security conscious reality. That's
just the way it is.

Service Pack 2 is vitally important. The dot-net framework is different:
It's not a security update. Dot-net is this hugely ambitious idea that
Microsoft has about the future of computing. Who knows if it will ever come
to pass. For now, this idea has produced some software coding tools that an
increasing number of developers really like, so more and more software is
requiring that you have the dot-net framework installed.

Ted Zieglar

"Sandee" <jsmatis@dwave.net> wrote in message
> It seems like everytime I do a Windows Update or an XP update my computer
> runs worse than before. The updates I'm referring to are security
> updates. I don't want my computer to be at risk of a virus or someone
> getting information about me that they shouldn't have but it is no fun
> having security that interferes with the features I have come to expect.
> Such as, I no longer get graphics with my e-mails. If there are suppose
> to be some sort of pictures, I just get little boxes with red X's in them.
> And I used to love to play Boxerjam. I just spent the entire evening & I
> mean 3 hours trying to get it to work again. I've tried resetting my
> security setting and privacy settings but I'm obviously not all that
> bright when it comes to things like this and I don't really know how to
> get around all the new road blocks. So here is my question, In Oct. I
> downloaded several highly recommended security updates such as a
> Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer for Windows XP Service
> Pack 2 and Microsoft.NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1. Should I
> un-install one of these? If so, which one? Should I go back further and
> un-install Windows XP service Pack 2? I don't remember exactly when I
> started having trouble and I'd like to only un-install whatever I have to
> in order to get my computer to function normally. Sorry I'm not more
> specific, I just don't know how to describe my computer problems. I
> sincerely appreciate any help I get. Thanks.
>
> Sandee

On the outlook express/pictures issue - it's easy!

Open OE then go to tools>options.
Click on the security tab and untick the box that says 'block images and
other external content in HTML email' (in the middle).

Or you can just click the bar at the top of the email whilst reading it.

Hope this helps