Question Frustrating bug that keeps turning on/off when booting!

milkygirl

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2013
This video explains it best -
View: https://youtu.be/MIn3hdAAuko

Sometimes when booting up, it simply refuses to start.. and just keep going in this loop infinitely.

Other times it works flawlessly and boots in 15s. However, the consistent problem with it is after going to "Sleep" mode, it can't wake up - i.e. the fans are spinning and the clock is running, but there is no display output at all and the numlock on my keyboard is not lit (which implies that it did not reach desktop when resuming from sleep).

Any idea what exactly is the issue?

Specifications below:

z170a Gaming M5 MSI
GTX750
4x4Gb RAM
250gb SSD

Lutfij

Titan
Can you disconnect from the wall and the monitor, press and hold down the power button for 30 seconds and then reconnect to all devices to power? If the issue persist, keep reading.

Make and model of your PSU and it's age? When you are able to POST, can you get into BIOS and remain there indefinitely? While here, try and check to see what BISO version you're on at the time of writing. Since you have 4 sticks of ram, remove two sticks and see if that changes anything on your end. I'd also suggest sourcing a reliably built PSU with at least 450W of power for the entire system, sourced from a friend or neighbor and see if the donor PSU causes the same issue to recur. If the issue is non existent, you know what to replace.

milkygirl

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2013
Can you disconnect from the wall and the monitor, press and hold down the power button for 30 seconds and then reconnect to all devices to power? If the issue persist, keep reading.

Make and model of your PSU and it's age? When you are able to POST, can you get into BIOS and remain there indefinitely? While here, try and check to see what BISO version you're on at the time of writing. Since you have 4 sticks of ram, remove two sticks and see if that changes anything on your end. I'd also suggest sourcing a reliably built PSU with at least 450W of power for the entire system, sourced from a friend or neighbor and see if the donor PSU causes the same issue to recur. If the issue is non existent, you know what to replace.

Yes, the issue still persists and by the way, I have also tried resetting the BIOS by taking out the battery for 5 minutes and reinserting it, but to no avail.

PSU = Seasonic 620W M12ii, 1 year old.
Yes I can get into BIOS and stay there indefinitely.
Latest BIOS version already.
I have also tested different RAM combinations (had 4 sticks to play with). RAM is not the issue.
My PSU is reliable too (not a random brand), so I really don't know what exactly the issue is.

Jun 11, 2021
does it always reboot at the same boot up sequence location? I had a MB that would post and just before loading the OS it would reboot.. I though it was the harddrive but maybe it was the sata controller but after replacing MB it worked fine