[SOLVED] Frustrating Runtime and App Crashing errors ?

-Uninformed Josh-

Honorable
Jan 31, 2015
Hi, I've been having this problem for maybe a month or two now. Certain games and applications will crash after opening - for example Razer Synapse 3 will begin to show the window with login fields however the window is unresponsive and crashes a few seconds after you see it. Razer Synapse 2 works fine however won't pick up my new mouse (Basilisk V2) so I can't set the DPIs on it through the app. The games in question are just steam games really, it seems any source game like Team Fortress 2 or Black Mesa will crash during the steam window for "applying configurations". Some other games crash too but most others are fine - Shadows of Mordor, Grim Dawn launch without a hitch.

When it started I swear in Event Viewer I got application error logs for the games but now they don't even register in event viewer - it's like a crash but nothing happened. For Razer Synapse 3 I get Event ID - 1026, 1000 and then two 1001s. They all seem to point to "Razer Central.exe" and I've seen the Runtime related errors can be due to dodgy or missing .NET installations so in Windows Features I've tried reinstalling .NET Framework 3.5 (Including .NET 2.0 and 3.0) as well as .NET Framework 4.8 Advanced Services as well as any features branching under. Still nothing. I've also tried reinstalling the games and apps in question. I also don't have any restore points from before this was an issue.

Does anyone have any ideas? It would be a massive help because googling ain't getting me any further on this.

Solution
Okay. "Back to basics".

Update your post to include full system hardware specs.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition.

Disk drives: make, model, capacity, how full?

= = = =

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all cards, connectors, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

Use a bright flashlight to inspect for signs of damage; bare conductor showing, kinked/pinched wires, swollen components, discoloration.

Run either Resource Monitor or Task Manager (use both only just one at a time) to observe system performance. Determine what system resources are being used, to what extent (%), an what is using any given resource.

Make comparisons between when...

Ralston18

Titan
Also look for errors, etc. in Reliability History.

Reliability History uses a time line format. Look back that "month or two" for some entry that precedes or corresponds with the start of the problems.

Try running the built-in Windows 10 troubleshooter. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Likewise try "sfc /scannow" an "dism".

References:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-dism-command-line-utility-repair-windows-10-image

-Uninformed Josh-

Honorable
Jan 31, 2015
Also look for errors, etc. in Reliability History.

Reliability History uses a time line format. Look back that "month or two" for some entry that precedes or corresponds with the start of the problems.

Try running the built-in Windows 10 troubleshooter. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Likewise try "sfc /scannow" an "dism".

References:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-dism-command-line-utility-repair-windows-10-image
sfc, dism and Windows 10 troubleshooters were unable to find anything. The earliest I can see something going critically wrong in reliability history was the 22nd of May where I got an Nvidia Container error. I also see in there an issue with a Microsoft Security Intelligence update. I'm running optional Windows 10 updates right now to see if they fix anything.

Edit: Updates haven't helped

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Okay. "Back to basics".

= = = =

Verify by sight and feel that all cards, connectors, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

Use a bright flashlight to inspect for signs of damage; bare conductor showing, kinked/pinched wires, swollen components, discoloration.

Run either Resource Monitor or Task Manager (use both only just one at a time) to observe system performance. Determine what system resources are being used, to what extent (%), an what is using any given resource.

Make comparisons between when the system is just idling after first starting up, then while doing light browsing or apps such as email. Lastly while gaming.

Look for unexpected or unknown apps that are being launched and running in the background. Do not immediately disable or uninstall. Find out more about any such apps.

Solution

-Uninformed Josh-

Honorable
Jan 31, 2015
Okay. "Back to basics".

= = = =

Make comparisons between when the system is just idling after first starting up, then while doing light browsing or apps such as email. Lastly while gaming.

Look for unexpected or unknown apps that are being launched and running in the background. Do not immediately disable or uninstall. Find out more about any such apps.
Luckily I can avoid this, I've JUST through trial and error found the offending program. It was Rivatuner Statistics Server - seems to have been serving me all the software clashes. Thanks for your input Ralston18, the thread can be closed now. Phew.

TRENDING THREADS