Frying my motherboard

Luke056

Commendable
Jul 29, 2017
So recently I did a really rookie mistake but what happen was
I unplugged the cpu power cable in the top right of the motherboard and then turned on the pc because b4 my pc wouldn’t but it turned
on what n i unplugged it, so it powered on and I put the cable back in and then the pc turned off. I want to find out if I fried my cpu aswell because I bought some new parts but not the cpu because I dunno if it works or not so do you think I could of possibly killed it?
Thanks

Solution
with your pc start with bare boning it. take the gpu out and try one ram stick. see if it posts. on the eps plug make sure you did not plug in one of the gpu power plugs. make sure the plug says cpu or eps.

jacobweaver800

Respectable
Dec 15, 2017

You plugged the CPU power back in when the pc was on and running? Yeah most likely fried the motherboard and CPU, what board is it? If the board was a good high quality one the CPU may be fine and the capacitors may have taken all the shock but if it wasn't a good board that CPU is fried and same with the board.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
I would expect to have triggered protection on the motherboard (forcing a shutdown) before frying the CPU - but it's certainly an option.

The board could potentially be ok too, depending on what was triggered.

Never connect anything while the system is running, unless it's specifically designated as hot swapable (some storage drives via SATA, USB drives etc).

Luke056

Commendable
Jul 29, 2017
I’ve cleared cmos multiple times nothing powers, I’ve waited for like 2 hours and tried nope. I changed the power socket to different ones and nothing.

jacobweaver800

Respectable
Dec 15, 2017

The power socket? I assume you mean what plug the cable was plugged into on the PSU which you should always have the CPU power plugged into only the CPU power and not the PCI-E power since that is designed for expansion card power delivery not for a CPU's needs.