FS1 socket compatible with FS1R2?

shotgunrumble

Reputable
May 14, 2014
I am a huge gamer and have a decent laptop for playing games (Acer Aspire V3-551-8469)

I plan on building a $1400 gaming pc in the near future so i dont need anybody commenting saying "just build a desktop", just need to know if the compatibility will work and if the cost is worth the upgrade. so on to the post!

I want to make my laptop a bit faster in addition to building my gaming rig in the future. in the acer i have already upgraded the ram from 4gb of 1200 to 8gb of 1600, and am looking into getting a 250gb or 500gb SSD.

the current CPU is a AMD A8-4500M (trinity) FS1 (socket) and i want to get the beefiest/best/fastest processor available.

here is a list of processors that are compatible with the FS1 chipset:
http://us.hardware.info/products/445/6976-socket-fs1-processors

so on the list i chose the AMD A10-5750M (richland) because it was substantially better, but upon further inspection, it is an FS1R2 (socket).

so after reading countless pages about these sockets people are saying that Yes they are compatible as long as i update the bios, and countless people saying NO they are different sockets, and some people saying that you cant remove the chipset out period.... so i want to know a definite answer to if i can use the an FS1R2 processor in an FS1 socket.

so the next part of my question is if that will not work.

if i am strictly limited to the FS1 socket, then the 2nd best option, in the list I linked above, is the AMD A10-4600M (trinity), which is also FS1 socket and same generation (trinity). will this work in my laptop and what will i need to do to make this work? will i need to update the BIOS? and is it even worth upgrading the cup from my A8 to the A10?

here is the comparision of my current CPU (AMD A8-4500M) to the AMD A10-4600M:
http://cpuboss.com/cpus/AMD-A8-4500M-vs-AMD-A10-4600M

to summaries... the AMD A10-4600M benefits are:
More than 20% higher clock speed
Around 15% higher turbo clock speed
More than 30% better overclocked clock speed (Air)
Around 20% better PassMark (Single core) score
More than 20% better overclocked clock speed (Water)

i currently have my laptop hooked up to a second monitor and use both screens for everything, from youtube, using photoshop, rendering youtube videos, playing games such as dayz, counterstrike, arma, crisis, league of legends, to list a few, also streaming on twitch. so i really want to get this computer as beefy as i can make it, for obvious reasons.

Solution
The socket FS1r2 shares the same socket and pin layout as socket FS1; however the older FS1 socket will not accept newer FS1r2 processors, not even after a BIOS update.

The FS1 socket was shortlived before being superceded by FS1r2, therefore FS1 has a limited amount of processor support; supporting only a A8-3550MX at best, whereby all FS1 sockets use the core AMD Llano.

If your current processor is an AMD A8-4500M, which utilises the AMD Trinity core; then your computer's socket is a FS1r2 - the AMD A8-4500M is a FS1r2 CPU. FS1r2 utilises both Trinity and Richland, provided the CPU is compatible with your motherboard (in concordance with your manufacturer's manual/CPU support list.)

I'd recheck your CPU support list before...

Obnoxious

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
The socket FS1r2 shares the same socket and pin layout as socket FS1; however the older FS1 socket will not accept newer FS1r2 processors, not even after a BIOS update.

The FS1 socket was shortlived before being superceded by FS1r2, therefore FS1 has a limited amount of processor support; supporting only a A8-3550MX at best, whereby all FS1 sockets use the core AMD Llano.

If your current processor is an AMD A8-4500M, which utilises the AMD Trinity core; then your computer's socket is a FS1r2 - the AMD A8-4500M is a FS1r2 CPU. FS1r2 utilises both Trinity and Richland, provided the CPU is compatible with your motherboard (in concordance with your manufacturer's manual/CPU support list.)

I'd recheck your CPU support list before upgrading, as you seem to be on socket FS1r2, not FS1; if A8-4500M is your laptop's current CPU.

All the best. :)

Solution

shotgunrumble

Reputable
May 14, 2014

thanks obnoxious, looking up my cpu support list right now, looking forward to doing this upgrade, but 1 last question, so richland and trinity fs1r2 are backwards compatible?

Obnoxious

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
No problem at all, I hope the upgrade goes well for you. :)

You should consider opening up your laptop first (with safety and caution), and check if the processor can actually be removed or not, before spending any money on purchasing a CPU, later to find out your current CPU is soldered onto the motherboard. Certain laptop manufacturer's notoriously solder the CPU into the motherboard, which prevents you from upgrading it. I'd make sure your laptop's processor can be removed first; if the CPU can be removed from the socket, it can be upgraded. :)

The FS1r2 socket is NOT backward compatible with FS1 processors, nor is FS1 compatible with FS1r2; consider them completely two different sockets.

Depending on the processor you purchase however, both Trinity and Richland are compatible with FS1r2. Whether the processor's core is a Trinity or Richland depends on the CPU, but they are both compatible with FS1r2. However some Richland processors were released more recently than others, so you may have to rely on your motherboard's CPU support list (usually found in the laptop manual); as those are the CPU's guaranteed to work.

shotgunrumble

Reputable
May 14, 2014

awesome! so i did a bit more research and since richland and trinity are compatible with FS1r2 since that makes the upgrade worth it!, next question that could be stupid, but after doing more research, is FS1r2 compatible with FP2? if not then this is the best processor with FS1r2 is
http://products.amd.com/en-us/NotebookAPUDetail.aspx?id=62

now all i need to do is hunt down the manual and stuff, i cant seem to find it online anywhere

Obnoxious

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
Unfortunately no, FP2 processors are not compatible with FS1r2. BGA827, also known as FP2 is another different socket for processors. Your are correct however, the AMD A10-5750M is the best supported processor on FS1r2.

I can't seem to find a manual either, usually one should come with the laptop. If not, then perhaps it could be possible for one not to exist. Perhaps only quick start guides were provided, and if that is the case, then they can be found here.

Unfortunately however, judging solely on the bottom design of your laptop; it doesn't look like there is a compartment for your CPU, so in other words, your CPU may not be accessible for you to replace (unless you open your entire laptop up, down to the motherboard; even then, your CPU could be soldered on.) By the design, it looks like you can only replace your laptop's battery, hard drive and RAM. Only way to be certain is to open your laptop up.

shotgunrumble

Reputable
May 14, 2014
ok i found an interesting video and think this might give a little more hope in this swap, i believe since both the processors AMD A8-4500M, my current one, and AMD A10-5750M, the one i want, both are piledriver and comal.

in addition, here is the AMD A10-5750M specs: http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Bulldozer/AMD-A10-Series%20A10-5750M%20-%20AM5750DEC44HL.html

and here are the AMD A8-4500M specs: http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Bulldozer/AMD-A8-Series%20A8-4500M.html

on both Packages the processors have: 722-pin organic lidless micro Pin Grid Array (UOL722) and everything is identical, so if the only thing to do is tear apart my computer then im going to fry's electronics right now and picking up this processor!

also here is a video of a guy doing this upgrade to the trinity A10 processor we previously talked about,in the description he says its just plug and play with the AMD A10-5750M! so that leads me to believe further that im getting a badass processor in my computer today!: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsJaXF3MkJU

!!!this is a copy and paste from the description of the video if the link wont open!!!

Hp Pavilion AMD A10 CPU / APU Upgrade: A6-4400M to A10-5750M or A10-4600M

If you have a notebook with AMD APU A series you will be able to make this upgrade instead of having an amd a10-5200 with came soldered into the MoBo.

If you have first gen of APU (like Ax-3xxxM) you have fs1 socket and this video is not for you, please see my other upgrade from e2-300m to a8-3500m.

If you have second gen (ax-4xxxm) or third gen (ax-5xxxm) you can upgrade to any apu you want.
The highest upgrade for those gen's is the a10-5750m and the a10-4600m.

For those who asked me for another "K" apus, please remember that K are for desktop models, for notebooks must be an APU witch name ends in "M" like a6-4400M

This video was made for upgrade an a6-4400m to a10-4600m that was posteriorly upgraded succesfully to a10-5750 with the same metod, just dissasembly and plug-n-play.

Remember that the new coming AMD APU's Kaveri will use newer socket (fs1r3 or fs3) witch will not be compatible with any other socket or family.

NOTE: All people with a pavilion G6 are able to upgrade also to 16gb of RAM to get more performance for their APU.

NOTE 2: AN APU is an All Processing Unit and means that is an CPU and a GPU in just one unit, so if you change the APU you will change also the graphics card to another one, generally better.

Obnoxious

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
The AMD A10-5750M most likely is compatible with your laptop, but of course I cannot guarantee it. In most cases it will be plug and play, and should be able to run as soon as you install; you shouldn't need to do anything else. However tearing down your laptop maybe a challenge, but once you do, you should be able to replace the CPU provided it's not soldered on.

I guess at this point, you could try it out. If the CPU upgrade doesn't work with your laptop, I suppose you could always refund it, provided the CPU is returned in all it's original packaging.

shotgunrumble

Reputable
May 14, 2014

awesome! thanks for all your help man, will keep you informed on how it goes!

shotgunrumble

Reputable
May 14, 2014

got even better news! thanks to this guys review and looking at the specs of the new cpu i just bought, i should be able to run 2x 8gb sticks of DDR3 1866! http://www.amazon.com/review/R2AD9DK6AZYR56/ref=cm_cr_pr_viewpnt#R2AD9DK6AZYR56

about to make this thing a monster, also going to go SSD

eidolon171

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013
I know I'm pulling a billywitchdoctor.com here, but I have some insight for anyone who comes on this thread looking for answers. It's been over a year since the OP mentioned anything about the build, but I recently replaced the a8 4500m with an a10 5750m in my Samsung Series 3. The motherboard was not the original revision 2.0 that came with the laptop, but rather an old revision 1.0 that I also replaced, cost of cpu+mobo was $120 (ebay + alibaba respectively). The CPU auto-installed, although it restarted a couple of times during the boot-up, eventually Windows came up without any red flags. Interestingly AMD Overdrive did not recognize that the max turbo frequency was higher until after a bios update. Everything works as expected now. The degree of complexity was no greater than standard desktop repair.

Be warned: if you are going to upgrade from an a8 4500 to an a10 5750 you will have to sort out a major overheating problem, as most a8 laptops I know of (including mine obviously) have mediocre cooling systems. I ended up transferring everything over to a mini-itx case and adding in a corsair h60. The upside is that my 5750 overclocks to 4.0GHz stable.

shotgunrumble

Reputable
May 14, 2014

hey bud! ya it has been a while since i did the swap, laptop was a little more responsive but not really worth the money for the a10, i didnt go through any re installation problems (its was plug and play). like you said about the major overheating! its completely true! the side of my laptop has been disintegrating! everything cracked on the left side, even the screen support so now the screen likes to flop around haha. its all good because i ended up spending $2500 into my gaming rig! now this laptop is just a web surfer and messenger and goes in tote bags.

after the laptop dies i will definitely transfer everything to a micro atx case mini box computer!

what motherboard did you end up going with to overclock, there was no way to overclock on my mobo, i cant wait to do what you did to my laptop!!!!!

Wichoyop

Reputable
Jun 23, 2015
hi. I want to do the same that you. i was wondering if you done that upgrade.
I need some help to choise the APU, i have the FS1r2. also I need know wich APU you used for your upgrade.
I´m a noob in this, so, i need help.

Dangit Dave

Honorable
Dec 6, 2014

If your laptop is an AMD FSr1 or FS1 socket type and you have an AMD A8-4500 in it, I'd say it is very likely that you can upgrade it to the A10-5750 (which benchmarks higher than the A10-5757 APU - BTW). IT is more a matter of BIOS than anything but, I have owned both an Acer Aspire V3-551 and have a Lenovo N586. Both upgraded easily to the A10-4600 (even though the Lenovo website tech specs for my laptop (which started out with an A6-4400), said it couldn't be upgraded above the A8-4500... Which I read AFTER I'd already upgraded to the A10-4600 without any problems.

While I'm sure you've already made the upgrade successfully, I am answering for the benefit of any other Acer Aspire V3-551 series laptop owners - or those who may even have a Lenovo N586 series laptop, as I currently do.

Between the two, I like the keyboard layout better on the Acer V3-551; it has a full size number pad whereas, the Lenovo N586 has a shortened 0 key, in trying to squeeze the number pad into a smaller overall keyboard profile. The upside is that I can install 16GB of DDR3-12800 RAM into it, which I couldn't do with my Acer V3-551, (8GB RAM max.) That and, I like the N586's matte black finish inside and out.