FSB Questions

Tim

I have a few questions regarding the FSB and how it affects the CPU ...

1) Are FSB frequency pulses generated from within the CPU itself or from
somewhere else? Where is the oscillator (if that's what it's called), and
where is the multiplier?

2) Hypothetically, if you have a processor with a 1GHz speed rating, which
it achieves using 100 MHz FSB and a 10x multiplier, what happens when you
achieve that 1GHz using an overclocked FSB and a lower multiplier? Does it
put a strain on the CPU, even though the final CPU speed is still running at
its intended frequency?

Thanks in advance.

Tim wrote:

> I have a few questions regarding the FSB and how it affects the CPU ...
>
> 1) Are FSB frequency pulses generated from within the CPU itself or from
> somewhere else? Where is the oscillator (if that's what it's called), and
> where is the multiplier?
>
> 2) Hypothetically, if you have a processor with a 1GHz speed rating, which
> it achieves using 100 MHz FSB and a 10x multiplier, what happens when you
> achieve that 1GHz using an overclocked FSB and a lower multiplier? Does it
> put a strain on the CPU, even though the final CPU speed is still running at
> its intended frequency?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Yes, there's an oscillator, on the main board as part of the clock
generator. That clock generator provides the clock for the FSB, which also
goes into the processor.

The multiplier is in the processor and is input to a phase locked loop
which multiplies up the FSB clock for the internal processor clock.

In almost all modern processor the multiplier is unchangeable (possible to
do since it's in the processor and if it won't accept changes then it can't
be changed).

If you increase the FSB, and lower the multiplier, it will have no effect
on the processor core but the FSB buffers, and internal L2 cache if it has
any, will be at the faster speed. The issue would be if it can run that
fast, not if it's 'hurt' by it.

In article <2iuf6sFs2t1vU1@uni-berlin.de>, argybargy@hotmail.com
says...
> I have a few questions regarding the FSB and how it affects the CPU ...
>
> 1) Are FSB frequency pulses generated from within the CPU itself or from
> somewhere else? Where is the oscillator (if that's what it's called), and
> where is the multiplier?
>
> 2) Hypothetically, if you have a processor with a 1GHz speed rating, which
> it achieves using 100 MHz FSB and a 10x multiplier, what happens when you
> achieve that 1GHz using an overclocked FSB and a lower multiplier? Does it
> put a strain on the CPU, even though the final CPU speed is still running at
> its intended frequency?

1) From a clock generator on the motherboard.
2) No but it does stress other components as depending on the
motherboard you're also overclocking the PCI/AGP and memory.

--
Conor

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left.

> 1) From a clock generator on the motherboard.
> 2) No but it does stress other components as depending on the
> motherboard you're also overclocking the PCI/AGP and memory.

Second half of number one . . . as the CPU must run at a speed much higher
than most motherboard components, it runs at a certain multiple of the FSB
speed. Sometimes this muliplier can be adjusted, and sometimes not.
Sometimes you can "unlock" the multiplier of a CPU using BIOS tweaks and
more involved workarounds. -Dave

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 15:25:49 -0400, "Tim" <argybargy@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>I have a few questions regarding the FSB and how it affects the CPU ...
>
>1) Are FSB frequency pulses generated from within the CPU itself or from
>somewhere else? Where is the oscillator (if that's what it's called), and
>where is the multiplier?

You choulde see a crystal with the 14.31818 Mhz value, and a chip with
probably an ICS logo. The 14.31818 Mkz chip produces the root system
clock, the ICS chip multiplies it to the FSB frequency. The CPU itself
multiplies the FSB to the rated clock frequency.

>2) Hypothetically, if you have a processor with a 1GHz speed rating, which
>it achieves using 100 MHz FSB and a 10x multiplier, what happens when you
>achieve that 1GHz using an overclocked FSB and a lower multiplier? Does it
>put a strain on the CPU, even though the final CPU speed is still running at
>its intended frequency?
>
>Thanks in advance.

Tim

"David Maynard" <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote in message

> If you increase the FSB, and lower the multiplier, it will have no effect
> on the processor core but the FSB buffers, and internal L2 cache if it has
> any, will be at the faster speed. The issue would be if it can run that
> fast, not if it's 'hurt' by it.

I assume that this speed issue would also pertain to the northbridge, since
the FSB connects to that also, correct?

Tim

"Gary Tait" <classicsat@yahoo.cominvalid> wrote in message
> On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 15:25:49 -0400, "Tim" <argybargy@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> You choulde see a crystal with the 14.31818 Mhz value, and a chip with
> probably an ICS logo. The 14.31818 Mkz chip produces the root system
> clock, the ICS chip multiplies it to the FSB frequency. The CPU itself
> multiplies the FSB to the rated clock frequency.

Thanks!

Tim

"Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote in message

> > 1) From a clock generator on the motherboard.
> > 2) No but it does stress other components as depending on the
> > motherboard you're also overclocking the PCI/AGP and memory.
> >

> Second half of number one . . . as the CPU must run at a speed much higher
> than most motherboard components, it runs at a certain multiple of the FSB
> speed.

Thanks for the info.

Sometimes this muliplier can be adjusted, and sometimes not.
> Sometimes you can "unlock" the multiplier of a CPU using BIOS tweaks and
> more involved workarounds. -Dave

That's precisely why I'm asking, I'm interested in overclocking one of the
mobile Bartons.

Tim

"David Maynard" <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote in message

> If you increase the FSB, and lower the multiplier, it will have no effect
> on the processor core but the FSB buffers, and internal L2 cache if it has
> any, will be at the faster speed.

But aren't today's CPUs, with onboard L2 cache, usually running the cache at
core speed anyway?

Tim wrote:

> "David Maynard" <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote in message
>

>>If you increase the FSB, and lower the multiplier, it will have no effect
>>on the processor core but the FSB buffers, and internal L2 cache if it has
>>any, will be at the faster speed. The issue would be if it can run that
>>fast, not if it's 'hurt' by it.
>>

> I assume that this speed issue would also pertain to the northbridge, since
> the FSB connects to that also, correct?

Sure

Tim wrote:

> "David Maynard" <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote in message
>

>>If you increase the FSB, and lower the multiplier, it will have no effect
>>on the processor core but the FSB buffers, and internal L2 cache if it has
>>any, will be at the faster speed.
>>

> But aren't today's CPUs, with onboard L2 cache, usually running the cache at
> core speed anyway?

Well, the processor side of it is, yes. The other side is at FSB.