fsb speed - why does it matter?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

"Richard Hopkins" <richh@dsl.nospam.co.uk> wrote in message news:<418bac14$0$29190$cc9e4d1f@news-text.dial.pipex.com>...
> "James Hanley" wrote in message...
> > Course Neither Dual inline nor DDR increase the actual speed.
>
> You have to be careful with your terminology here, as you're in danger of
> confusing/transposing different factors. In particular it looks like you're
> a little too keen to mix bus speeds and bandwidths.

I slipped up before with the dual punped, quad pomped thing ;)
What I meant was that with the p4 running dual inline memory modules,
is efficient, no bottleneck. Also, the P4's effective speed of
800(200*4) compared to the memory's effective speed of 400(200*2). is
double. To compensate, the memory serves double, since its width is
doubled, and the system is efficient.

> > However, DDR is considered to increase the effective speed, even
> > though it does not increase the speed in cycles per second.
>
> Double data rate increases bandwidth, not speed. ;-)

but since the concept of 'effective speed' was invented, memory that
is DDR with an actual clock of 200MHz, is said to have an effective
speed of 400MHz, it's called DDR 400. Even though it does not increase
speed or cycles per second, it just increases bandwidth.
Dual inline also only increases bandwidth, but oddly, it's considered
not to increase 'effective speed'.
Perhaps the term/concept of 'effective speed' should not be used when
discussing what's actually happening. It's just useful to some for
calculating bandwidth, so the FSB's bandwidth of 800*8 comes up the
same as 200*(4*8).