Question FSP HV PRO good enough or avoid entirely?

OtapIc

Commendable
Jan 19, 2021
So I found this PSU quite a while ago, but up until recently there wasn't any in depth review of it. I'm not an expert on PSUs by all means, so when a YouTube channel that is trustworthy (for me atleast) reviewed this PSU including testing and the insides, it got me intrigued again but I'm still not quite sure what to look for in a decent PSU

So if anyone knowledgeable enough can tell me what's good and what's not from looking at the components, I'd really appreciate it

PSU Insides
PSU testing w/ dummy loader

And before anyone asks, yes the wattage is more than enough for what I'm looking to build in fact I probably only need the 550W but the price difference between 550W and 650W was less than $7 so why not.

Thanks in advance

They use cheap components, such as the FOAI capacitor, Champion main switchers, and the Yate Loon sleeve bearing fan, which is expected on a cheap power supply like the HV PRO. The video also does not highlight the capacitor brand used on the secondary side, but luckily it's 105C. One thing to note though it has DC-DC so it could be used for a modern system, so even though it won't last long, I approve its use with a GPU around GTX 1070-level of power consumption.

OtapIc

Commendable
Jan 19, 2021
They use cheap components, such as the FOAI capacitor, Champion main switchers, and the Yate Loon sleeve bearing fan, which is expected on a cheap power supply like the HV PRO. The video also does not highlight the capacitor brand used on the secondary side, but luckily it's 105C. One thing to note though it has DC-DC so it could be used for a modern system, so even though it won't last long, I approve its use with a GPU around GTX 1070-level of power consumption.
Hmm can you maybe suggest me a better PSU then? I've just been stumbling around this whole time trying to find a decent one.
My budget is anything below 90$ and I'm planning to buy a Seasonic Core anyways, but if I can find something cheaper with the same quality I'd rather have that

OtapIc

Commendable
Jan 19, 2021
That's CM MWE v1. CM MWE v2 is much better.

https://www.tokopedia.com/enterkomputer/antec-ea-gold-pro-550w-ea550g-pro-80-gold-modular

This one is also an interesting option, better than the Seasonic Core.
Well I'm gonna give those 2 some consideration, I'll probably end up with the MWE if it really is good enough and btw in the PSU tierlist it mentions MWE having high ripple issues on low load.
Is it an issue I should be worried about that could potentially damage a component?

May 6, 2021
so with the components you mentioned, is my power supply fsp hv pro okay for middle to lower computer systems?

Last edited: