FSP Launches Windale CPU Coolers

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

FSP decided to enter the CPU cooling market with the Windale series, which includes two products that utilize CPU direct contact technology, where the heatpipes come in contact with the CPU's lid and aren't just embedded into the heat sink's base.

FSP Launches Windale CPU Coolers : Read more

dstarr3

Distinguished
I do like the look of the black one, but I have to wonder if that plating reduces the thermal conductivity in any way. Has anyone done any testing on such a thing yet? I suppose that'd be pretty difficult to test for, until someone produces a cooler that's available in two versions, plated and not.

If the 180w smaller windale 4 is priced at $33 it will have some stiff competition. There's already the 212 evo which is designed for 180w at $25-30 usd at a similar size. Cryorig's h7 is priced similarly as well and though I'm not sure of any stated tdp rating specifically several tests show it matches or exceeds the performance of the 212 evo in a smaller form factor as well as offset heatpipes for 0 ram conflict.

No mention of features like the offset pipes for these coolers. If they didn't go that route it will make competition even stronger by comparison. I'm not sure how many more 212 evo type coolers the market really needs, seems fairly saturated already with coolermaster, cryorig, bequiet, noctua, reeven, scythe etc. You'd think with so many ~$30 single fan 4 pipe 160mm tall coolers a new entry to the market would try to employ something ground breaking to shake things up, even if it's a bit gimmicky.

At this late date there's really no reason for coolers that size that interfere with ram, some like the 212 evo you can give a bit of leeway because it's such an old design. Continuing to make the same mistakes is a bit of a glaring oversight imho.

Pixdawg

Reputable
Jun 11, 2014
@Antonio_34: unlikely to be powdercoated--anodizing is a better process that wouldn't interfere with heat/air flow.

Fiqar_

Prominent
Apr 28, 2017
I do appreciate the aesthetics of the black one but I prefer using liquid coolers purely because of their aesthetic too. It just looks way cooler. Also, liquid coolers are getting more and more mature by the day and leakage problems are becoming less of a thing. So why not get a liquid one instead? Oh well, to each their own.

dstarr3

Distinguished

Overcomplication and expense. The fan on my Hyper 212 is just as quiet as the fan on anyone's radiators, and my CPU never breaks 50C, and it only cost me $30. Why would I spend three times that for no real gain?

Status
Not open for further replies.