FSP Twins 500W Redundant PSU Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

dstarr3

Distinguished
I really wonder what a consumer could possibly want this for. What is an ordinary consumer doing that they absolutely cannot risk any downtime whatsoever on their rig?

nzalog

Respectable
BANNED
Jan 2, 2017
I know freenas can be configured to work faster if you can for sure trust the system from not having RAM errors (covered by ECC) and if you can guarantee there is no unexpected shutdown (covered by dual power and ups). However the reliable power is not really required because a SSD as an SLOG device will cover for it, but then the SSD becomes the bottleneck for writes.

firefoxx04

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
I build several file servers a month for clients. Low end enough to where pre built solutions are not an option. This power supply would be a good fit but it is useless, imo, without some sort of email alert option. Maybe I missed that?

When I deploy file servers for clients, I always setup some sort of alert system for raid failures so I can fix the problem. What is the point of redundancy if the user has no idea a problem has occurred? Yes i know that this PSU makes a "loud buzzer noise" but I cant have that either. The user needs to continue to use the system and they cannot if it is screaming 100% of the time.

Send me an email alert. Its easy to implement.

Rookie_MIB

Distinguished
One thing I'm curious about - what if one unit does fail? Are they bog-standard replacement parts where you can go and buy a similar hot swap redundant power supply or is the system proprietary. If it's the latter, then I don't see many people lining up for this one...

Aris_Mp

Contributing Editor
Editor
Feb 5, 2015
about the first comment, the PSU is certified for up to 50C ambient full power delivery, but I choose to test up to 45C every PSU that passed from my test bench (since I also have to evaluate 40C rated units and I need to keep the same conditions for all).

While I'm glad for that, It's also nice to know if a unit rated at 50°C operation will deliver on its "promise" though. (If you exceed the "promised" rating, like the 40°C rated units @ 45, well, it delivered on its promise and then some.)

Pompompaihn

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
Newegg has several server chassis for sale that come WITH redundant 500w+ PSUs for less money than just this power supply. Given that the market is low end commercial/prosumer, and it's not going to be for gaming or HTPC, why wouldn't you just buy the whole thing for cheaper?

Matel Onely

Honorable
May 9, 2013
Another issue with this is replacement. My server is up out of the way and a real pain to get to. I'd absolutely do not move it if it is powered on. So to replace the power supply I'd probably power it down anyway.

what they should really do is one of two things
1) Design it to fit into a DVD drive bay (or two). That way you can pull the broken power supply from the front which is mostly likely easily accessible. Most ATX towers have multiple DVD bays that end up not being used if they are servers.

2) The second option, and more expensive solution, would be to design an ATX tower where the power supply sticks out the front. Again for easy access for folks using standard ATX type cases.

Look in a server room. The power supplies are easy to get to. Of course the server racks are also accessible from either the front or back. But they are made for maintenance. To simplify maintenance for ATX cases, some tweaks will have to happen to really make use of these types of power supplies.

dstarr3

Distinguished

System building rule #1: If your case comes with a PSU, throw it away immediately, because it WILL be rubbish. Server chassis are no exception.

drajitsh

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2016
I wonder if it is possible to make an intelligent pass through board for connecting dual power supplies. A lot of full tower cases have space for 2 power supplies and you could use a standard ATX power supply.

not truly fail safe " DC-DC converters for the minor rails " are not independent so though they may be reliable then the higher voltage side I have seen plenty of 5 volt regulators fail. if it fails the system fails as though the 12 volt rail has two independent options powering it the lower voltages do not. that is a flaw in good redundancy. i have seen plenty of failures of 5 volt dc-dc converters on tvs boards while the 12 volt generation of the switching power supply was still working correctly/cleanly. would have just been nice to see a true dual power supply.

mcgyver2822

Commendable
Apr 24, 2016
It would have to come with a schematic and parts list to enable repair., because at $400 you will want to keep it a very long time., otherwise no one is going to discard a $400 PSU..

I

Distinguished
May 23, 2004
Niche market results in price way too high for what it is. Back in the day I just put two full ATX in a full tower case with ORing diodes. Yes you lose a few tenths of a volt, but total cost was only $40 per PSU, $10 for diodes, and I used misc PCB, wire and connectors I had lying around or cannibalized. Granted I can't count those parts as FREE, but I can count them as a heck of a lot less than $310 dollars worth.

Except for taking up twice the space it was a better setup too because if one PSU failed I could source a standard replacement PSU locally except that I already had a spare. A typical consumer isn't going to have spare $400 PSUs lying around.

Status
Not open for further replies.