Question FTW3 3080ti Fan issue

SproutyPC

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2013
Hi all, I am at my wits end and currently in contact with my retailer for what would be a refurbished card. I just want to see if you anyone has any more ideas or know what might be causing this issue.:

So I had my EVGA FTW3 on a EK waterblock for about 1year 11 months, I decided I wanted to go back to a clean air cooled set up, got a CPU air cooler and replaced my FTW3 air cooler on the GPU. I bought a new CPU platform, a 7800X3D with a Asus B650E-E.
I performed a clean install of windows, and while I was installing the fans on the GPU were like Jet engines. I assumed this was becuase no drivers or control over the fans during install. Windows installed, Nvidia drivers installed and the fans are still at max RPM. I check HWmonitor and sure enough, 3000RPM.

I then put MSI afterburner on my system and tried to slide the fans down or set a curve, nothing, 100%. Read up on this issue and a poster said that the 3rd fan on the cooler cannot be adjusted in MSI, only Precision X1, I get this software on steam, it performs a firmware update, still no change, I can adjust fan #3 to 0% rpm and it responds. I move the sliders up and down on the other two fans, nothing. More digging leads me to believe that this is a common fault on the FTW3, whereby the PWM controller shats itself and you're left with DC only and hence the jet liner fan speed.

I took the card apart again and double checked the fan leads, no signs of damage, installed with a audiable click and not twisted or pinched. repasted, same result on boot to desktop.

I have checked for any BIOS settings that might be ramping the card to max speeds, someone posted about PCIE speeds set manually to Gen 4, I have tried this as well.

The temps seem absolutely fine, in game the hottest I have seen the GPU go is 82c in a 25c ambient room. Hot spot and VRM are around 86 Max.

So back to present time, I have been offered a refurb of the same card, I am still in warranty and I kind of feel like I might be given a complete dud that's been tortured by a previous owner, I might be given a display model sure, but there's always that risk I don't.
So two things I would really appreciate, 1) any ideas of what else I could try to fix these fans, or confirmation that my fan module is toast. 2) If anyone knows the Warranties/Consumer rights in the UK regarding waranty of a product. I was under the impression it was Repair, Refund or Replacement (Like for like, of a current or newer model).

cheers all.

SproutyPC

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2013
To add, I tested another card (2070) in my system and it ramped up as expected through BIOS on the fans, but then immediately dropped to 0RPM mode once system loaded fully. I'm not able to put my 3080ti in another system, but if this might be useful to know, I think the 2000 series was gen 3 and my card is a Gen4. But as above, i tried setting PCI speeds to Gen4, 3,5, Auto