Fujitsu Intros Hybrid Tablet, Slate for Windows 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

BringMeAnother

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012
I've been using hybrids long before the iPad, Toshiba Portege M400, Gateway CX something and the Fujitsu Lifebook T4310. I doubt this new Lifeboo T902 will make a big splash and personally I'd rather use a slate with a detachable keyboard. Besides, the price isn't exactly attractive.

daglesj

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2007
Oh god no, not another tablet laptop!!!

They never worked all that well back in 2005/6 so why would they work any better now?

G

Lifebook T902: Because damnit, we've been making these things for ten years and SOMEBODY should buy them...

DavidC1

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
Oh god no, not another tablet laptop!!!

They never worked all that well back in 2005/6 so why would they work any better now?

Because. The Tablet PCs and Convertibles back then were horrible in so many areas.

Price: $1500+ with lot of them reaching more than $2000.
Battery life: Laptops can get 5-6 hours battery life with most light usage. Tablet PCs back then got 1.5-2 hours
Performance: Platter HDDS made them SLOW, made worse by the ULV chips that were far far slower than laptop chips. Today's ULV chips are far closer to top chips, and much faster SSDs are becoming more common
Form Factor: Thick and ugly.
Operating System: Windows is a horrible touchscreen OS. Even Windows 7 is better than anything before it.

[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]I think the convertible tablet form factor is still a brilliant design.[/citation]
I could not agree more, with the exception of one where the keyboard is removable. One of my bosses has an android tablet, where the keyboard is simply a keyboard with extra connectivity and battery, but the whole tablet fits within the screen, very nice :D Sadly the x86 CPUs still run a bit too warm to make that a reality for real computers, but it could happen at some point down the road with skylake processors in a few years... but I guess only time will tell.

tbq

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
I've got an Asus Eee PC with multi-touch screen and love it. I'm usually using the keyboard and mouse but having the touch screen definitely has its benefits.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
OK, nice idea, but apart from a screen that is 1 inch bigger, I can't see how this is better than a Surface.
I can also add an optical drive to the Surface, same business / enterprise software, lighter, cheaper.
Fujitsu had this in the pipeline before they knew the Surface was being released and was probably impossible to pretend never existed.
It's like they just announced a new gaming PC, running on a Pentium 4 with a GeForce 3, for $3000.

G

I hope thay start a trend with that built-in modular tray, being able to swap a DVD/RW, Extra hard/SSD drive, or a battery without having to undo screws is a big winner in my book! Now if they could only add a swapple graphics card to the mix thay would have a real winner!

Status
Not open for further replies.