[SOLVED] Full-screen games to desktop

Mar 18, 2022
Hi all,

I am at my wits end with this issue that I am having with my PC, so I'm posting here to see if I can get some advice/tips/guidance, before I unleash Thor's hammer on this thing.

EDIT – UPDATES Below – will continue to update until resolved

So hardware specs:

OS: Windows 10, 11 and then back to 10 (all clean builds, full format etc)
GPU: Asus Nvidia RTX 3080 (currently the latest drivers, though I have tested many others)
CPU: AMD 5800x (BIOS: 7C84v18—Though I have installed—7C84v17—7C84v16—7C84v15) and the issue persists.
Motherboard: MSI x570 Tomahawk Wi-Fi (all drivers up to date as of this post)
RAM: G skill Trident Z 32gb (x4 sticks) (Tested extensively using memtest & windows memtest) normally XMP, but I have tried stock and the issue persists.
Display: Samsung Odyssey G7 32" (FW: M-TG700CCAA-1014.1) using display port.
PSU: Corsair RM850x
Mouse: Corsair Dark Core SE
Keyboard: Corsair K70 TKL
Controller: Xbox wireless Elite

Yesterday I gave the PC a nice DEEP CLEAN, and ensured that all connections were clean and firmly reinstalled.

Symptoms:

Upon playing ANY game in FULL-SCREEN mode, I can play for a short period of time and the game will suddenly drop to desktop. There is no specific timing, though it certainly starts within 10 mins of play time and then every few minutes afterwards.

The games do not close down as they are still available to jump back into when I select them from the taskbar, though soon after it again will drop back to desktop.

Playing games in WINDOWED or BORDERLESS modes does not show this same behaviour, and works perfectly fine.

Desktop work, Media (photos/videos) or any desktop based application, say Microsoft Word or Photoshop, also don't show this behaviour.

The issue is SPECIFICALLY full screen games.

There are no spikes in GPU/CPU activity, no issues with temperatures, no applications or notifications popping up etc

What I've done:

These symptoms started to appear around the time that Windows 11 became available in a slightly more stable build, just before Christmas 2021. I was running Windows 10 at the time (I don't recall the specific version number) and I started to get this issue. After troubleshooting (google) I decided I would complete an update to Windows 11, just to see if that would remedy it.

It did not.

So after more troubleshooting, including re-edits, scans, virus scans, various Windows 10 setting adjustments, turning off all gaming windows features inc game mode, turning off AMD PBO etc, disabling C-State in bios and a few others I can't specifically remember, and lastly going through the various BIOS versions & Nvidia GPU drivers.

I decided to revert to Windows 10.

Now I am currently on a clean build with only one game installed that I know will trigger the issue quickly (though all games do tbf, this one is just quick to get into), that game is Rocket League via Epic (I know I know....EPic rah rah rah).

The issue still persists, so I'm starting to think this is a hardware issue, and that has me worried. Currently, have champagne taste but lemonade pockets!!

I have replaced the display port cable, in the hope it may be something as simple as that, but alas it is not. I have tried changing ports, but that doesn't make any difference. Furthermore, I think it's also worth mentioning that I only use ONE monitor, no multi-monitor options are enabled.

I have also extensively combed through windows' event logs, and nothing seems to stand out in relation to the issue I'm experiencing, though I will admit I am not the most fluent in understanding all them logs. I did run a program that runs in the background as a CMD window, and it monitors all activity, hoping for it to tell me what application, notification etc was pulling me back to desktop, but nothing showed up at all. I have disabled all notifications etc, ultimate focus mode!!

Each install of windows was as clean as I could possibly make it, all drives formatted etc (it's been painful and long-winded....much like this post)

So what's next?

Well, I have no idea, I'm really at a loss at this point. So here I am, asking for some advice from you very knowledgable folk (I'm sure of it) in the hope that you have an idea that I haven't thought of as yet, before I go down the route of RMA's.

I have no shame if it is something super simple, as it will be a lesson learned, so throw at me whatever you have in mind.

Any further details, feel free to ask.

Kind regards

A lost gamer

UPDATES:

#1: I have tested any potential USB related issues, but after several attempts have not been able to resolve my issue. For now, I am going to assume that USB devices are not the issue here. I will repeat that I don't currently have any 3rd party software on this PC that relates to USB devices or RGB/Fans etc.

#2: I have tested the top-rated antivirus, anti malware based software on the market, that has a free trial of its top tier product (Kaspersky, Bitdefender etc) and not one issue was found. I ensured that each program was installed on a clean build and that all previous versions of AV software were removed prior. I also ensured that I ran as deep of a test as I could, ticked every box etc.

Suffice to say, not a single trace of anything was found.

Reverting back to Windows defender & Malware Bytes *free edition

I'm sure my inbox will be busy for these “premium” services!!

#3: This was a wild shot, but I have reverted back to BIOS version 7C84v15 as this was the last BIOS that I recall when this issue wasn't present. I know it was a long shot….but desperate times mean desperate measures.
Well, you'll be surprised to hear, my issue was still not resolved.

The suffering goes on.

Last edited:
Solution
You never identified your power supply. You may have a marginal or failing power supply.
That 3080 is probably close to max power usage with full screen gaming.
Try lowering the resolution of the game or drop the refresh from 240hz. Both of those should lower the load on the GPU, and by extension lower the power requirements.
It is possible, but less likely that you have a memory problem. Have you tried running MEMTEST86 for 6 hours or so to verify the stability of the memory subsystem ?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
With the game you're focusing on try disable full screen optimisation under compatibility.

Would game minimise doing nothing during game play or at menu? See if it does, doing nothing, no k&m input. If it minimises like this then try disconnect both keyboard and mouse and see if we can stumble on to something.

Are there any utilities or software you're continuously installing after every clean os install? Anything from Msi AB, Dragon Centre to anything else that shouldn't be part of testing immediately after installing Windows?

Mar 18, 2022
With the game you're focusing on try disable full screen optimisation under compatibility.

Would game minimise doing nothing during game play or at menu? See if it does, doing nothing, no k&m input. If it minimises like this then try disconnect both keyboard and mouse and see if we can stumble on to something.

Are there any utilities or software you're continuously installing after every clean os install? Anything from Msi AB, Dragon Centre to anything else that shouldn't be part of testing immediately after installing Windows?
Hi,

I have attempted to disable full screen optimisation, but with no success.

I will test your K+M method, as that isn't something I have tried. So fire up the game, leave in the menu, if nothing happens start game, once issue occurs then start game again but remove K+M.

Will try (y)

As for other software, no I haven't installed anything other than the basic of what is required to run a game, so the latest drivers and epic store basically.

Mar 18, 2022

Hi,

I have tested to see if it is a USB issue in the games, and can confirm that it is not. I have removed all USB devices etc and still it flashes back to desktop whilst in a full screen game.

Frustrating

kanewolf

Titan
You never identified your power supply. You may have a marginal or failing power supply.
Try lowering the resolution of the game or drop the refresh from 240hz. Both of those should lower the load on the GPU, and by extension lower the power requirements.
It is possible, but less likely that you have a memory problem. Have you tried running MEMTEST86 for 6 hours or so to verify the stability of the memory subsystem ?

Solution
Mar 18, 2022
Hello,

My PSU is in the OP:

PSU: Corsair RM850x

As mentioned, It has all been running fine at full screen for about 6 months prior, only recently showing this issue. Yes I have run MEMTEST86 for a few hours, cant actually recall how long it was (as it was one of the first things I did) but it likely was approaching 6hrs.

Mar 18, 2022
How about the controller during this time, is that still connected? Try the dongle adapter in another usb port, at the rear if using front panel.
I had tried that too. Controller USB in with k+m out, then reverse, then nothing, then on its own etc. Issue still persists.....I had a lot of hope for this one!

Mar 18, 2022
UPDATES:

#1: I have tested any potential USB related issues, but after several attempts have not been able to resolve my issue. For now, I am going to assume that USB devices are not the issue here. I will repeat that I don't currently have any 3rd party software on this PC that relates to USB devices or RGB/Fans etc.

#2: I have tested the top-rated antivirus, anti malware based software on the market, that has a free trial of its top tier product (Kaspersky, Bitdefender etc) and not one issue was found. I ensured that each program was installed on a clean build and that all previous versions of AV software were removed prior. I also ensured that I ran as deep of a test as I could, ticked every box etc.

Suffice to say, not a single trace of anything was found.

Reverting back to Windows defender & Malware Bytes *free edition

I'm sure my inbox will be busy for these “premium” services!!

#3: This was a wild shot, but I have reverted back to BIOS version 7C84v15 as this was the last BIOS that I recall when this issue wasn't present. I know it was a long shot….but desperate times mean desperate measures.
Well, you'll be surprised to hear, my issue was still not resolved.

The suffering goes on.

Mar 18, 2022
Update 4:

I have been able to source an Nvidia 1070Ti, I cleared all display drivers and started afresh.

Again, the same issue occurred.

I've also used “stress” test software via AIDA64, Heaven, Cinebench and OCCT, all showed absolutely no issues and performed as expected, both with the 1070Ti & the 3080.