Question Full WIFi strength with Internet, No Cellular Signal. No text messages or phone calls. I have a theory.

miogpsrocks

Reputable
Dec 6, 2019
Hello.

My house is in an area with extremely weak to practically nonexistence cell signal, however I figured I would be covered because I have fiber internet and a Wi-Fi access point in almost every room. I was wrong. I connect with full strength Wi-Fi signal and verify to make sure internet is working on the cell phone. However, even with fiber internet and full WI-FI strength, nothing works. No phone calls and no text messages.

This is particularly bad because almost all the companies you deal with now are sending verification code over cell phone, and they think you are lying when you tell them you have no signal. I had one rep say to be like" if you have no cell phone signal then how are you talking to me now? I was like" I'm using a house phone with a landline" and he did not know what to make of that and acted confused. Maybe landline is not a thing in India and everyone only has a cell phone.

Anyway, I got Wi-Fi calling enabled but can't make calls over Wi-Fi even with fiber internet and 100% Wi-Fi strength.

My theory is that the cell phone company (in my case T-Mobile) programmers offshore programs are so bad that they design the software to ONLY verify a device on their network using a cell phone signal, not a normal internet connection via Wi-Fi.

So you would be required to have some sort of cell phone signal to have your phone first authorized just to get to the point that it will allow you to use your WIFI/Internet to send/receive text message or make Wi-Fi calls.

What do you guys thinks? Why can't I receive text message or make Wi-Fi calls even with fiber internet speeds and 100% Wi-Fi signal?

kanewolf

Titan
Hello.

My house is in an area with extremely weak to practically nonexistence cell signal, however I figured I would be covered because I have fiber internet and a Wi-Fi access point in almost every room. I was wrong. I connect with full strength Wi-Fi signal and verify to make sure internet is working on the cell phone. However, even with fiber internet and full WI-FI strength, nothing works. No phone calls and no text messages.

This is particularly bad because almost all the companies you deal with now are sending verification code over cell phone, and they think you are lying when you tell them you have no signal. I had one rep say to be like" if you have no cell phone signal then how are you talking to me now? I was like" I'm using a house phone with a landline" and he did not know what to make of that and acted confused. Maybe landline is not a thing in India and everyone only has a cell phone.

Anyway, I got Wi-Fi calling enabled but can't make calls over Wi-Fi even with fiber internet and 100% Wi-Fi strength.

My theory is that the cell phone company (in my case T-Mobile) programmers offshore programs are so bad that they design the software to ONLY verify a device on their network using a cell phone signal, not a normal internet connection via Wi-Fi.

So you would be required to have some sort of cell phone signal to have your phone first authorized just to get to the point that it will allow you to use your WIFI/Internet to send/receive text message or make Wi-Fi calls.

What do you guys thinks? Why can't I receive text message or make Wi-Fi calls even with fiber internet speeds and 100% Wi-Fi signal?
Did you go through the steps provided by T-Mobile to setup WIFI calling -- https://www.t-mobile.com/support/coverage/wi-fi-calling-from-t-mobile
Have you contacted T-Mobile support ?

miogpsrocks

Reputable
Dec 6, 2019
Noticed it was stuck on enabling and sort of grayed out. I turn off and on Airplane mode, and now it said enabled ready for calls and seem to be working. I also turned off mobile data and said prefer calls to Wi-Fi.

I was finally able to make a call with WI-FI and text over it too. I'm sure which one of these things worked or a combination of them.

Last edited:
Wifi calling/texting is not straight forward to setup since it is a form of VPN tunnel to the cell provider. Luckily they hide all the details but that also means the cell phone provider must be large enough to offer this kind of service some of the smaller prepaid ones. This is always go to the provider web site and hope to find clear instructions.