Question Funny smell in newly built computer

May 14, 2022
Hi all,

I recently built my first pc. I was booting it up for the first time when I noticed a smell near the exhaust fan. Initially it smelt like my pc was burning, I then did a bit of research and found that new pcs sometimes emit a chemical smell and I can't decide what I am smelling however am leaning towards burning. I tried to locate the smell however when I opened up my pc I could no longer smell the burning, though if I smelt the exhaust I could still smell it.

I then tried smelling individual components like my psu, cpu and GPU however still could not smell it, and my CPU is only 31 degrees celsius (in bios). I proceeded to touch my components to see if they were hot however none were, though I did touch my IO shield and that was slightly warm. After having no luck locating the smell I decided to touch my exhaust fan to see if it was hot and it was the hottest component within the case (only the middle of the fan was hot, the outer edges were cold). I was wondering what you think I should do? Is this normal, I am worried that if I continue I may break something. Is there any way to figure out if I have accidentally shorted anything?

Thanks in advance for all the help.

May 14, 2022
Let it develop over time......observe any changes and keep track of temps and any anomalies. Otherwise, you are just speculating.
Though I cannot pinpoint the smell I can definitely smell some kind of distinct burning / chemical. If I let it develop do I not just run the risk of damaging some of my parts?

Though I cannot pinpoint the smell I can definitely smell some kind of distinct burning / chemical. If I let it develop do I not just run the risk of damaging some of my parts?

Sure....but what is your alternative?

Quit using the machine right now, permanently, and buy a new PC?

Take it to a PC fix-it shop who might tell you anything and charge you 100 plus?

Start replacing parts until you don't smell anything?

There are tools (software) to monitor critical stuff inside a PC....temperatures, voltages, etc.

Your nose is a good tool.

It could be a major problem or it could be something insignificant.

Of all of your available choices, which would cause you the least worry?

Of all of your available choices, which would cause you the least worry, regardless of cost?

Again, what's your alternative as of right now?

May 14, 2022
Sure....but what is your alternative?

Quit using the machine right now, permanently, and buy a new PC?

Take it to a PC fix-it shop who might tell you anything and charge you 100 plus?

Start replacing parts until you don't smell anything?

There are tools (software) to monitor critical stuff inside a PC....temperatures, voltages, etc.

Your nose is a good tool.

It could be a major problem or it could be something insignificant.

Of all of your available choices, which would cause you the least worry?

Of all of your available choices, which would cause you the least worry, regardless of cost?

Again, what's your alternative as of right now?
Thanks for the reply - I see what your saying. Is there any way for me to check if something has shorted? Alternatively is there something wrong with my exhaust fan which was very hot? Could it be the exhaust fan which is making the smell?

Thanks for the reply - I see what your saying. Is there any way for me to check if something has shorted? Alternatively is there something wrong with my exhaust fan which was very hot? Could it be the exhaust fan which is making the smell?

Could be the fan....or any of dozens of other locations inside the case.

What, if anything, is unusual about your temps or fan speeds?

If the fan completely stopped, temps would probably move up a few degrees inside. Not life or death.

If you want to speculate, replace it.

If not, let things develop.

I have no idea how much this is bothering you or your concern with spending time and money on it right now.

May 14, 2022
Could be the fan....or any of dozens of other locations inside the case.

What, if anything, is unusual about your temps or fan speeds?

If the fan completely stopped, temps would probably move up a few degrees inside. Not life or death.

If you want to speculate, replace it.

If not, let things develop.

I have no idea how much this is bothering you or your concern with spending time and money on it right now.
Nothing is unusual about my temperature as of yet, the thing concerning me is the burning smell. I just shelled out quite a lot on all the major components and didn't want to risk melting wires etc incase that was the issue. I posted to try and see if there was some kind of way to further pinpoint the issue rather than just using my nose

KyaraM

Admirable
Nothing is unusual about my temperature as of yet, the thing concerning me is the burning smell. I just shelled out quite a lot on all the major components and didn't want to risk melting wires etc incase that was the issue. I posted to try and see if there was some kind of way to further pinpoint the issue rather than just using my nose
Unplug the fan in question, see what happens. That's the cheapest trouble shooting option you got right now.