Further Assistance

Hi all

Well, I have been doing further homework etc working towards my big day of
buying (a couple of months from now)

My current shopping list is as follows

Intel Pentium 4 3.2Ghz Prescott

I have gone for this as this one doesn't seem to have done too bad in the
temperature issue unlike the 2.8Ghz and 3.0Ghz. I contemplated the Extreme
Edition P4 also but due to Longhorn reputedly not supporting it I have
decided to avoid it for the sake of forward compatibility.

Asus P4P800 Deluxe

After having this recommended, and reading the multitude of reviews for it I
don't think there could be any alternative.

Matched Pair of 256MB Corsair CL2 RAM (512MB Total)

I am no memory expert but after reading around it seems the lower the Cas
Latency the better, and I read nothing but "ooh corsair this, ooh corsair
that" so I thought they must be good. I want the matched pair for the dual
powered RAM thingy for better performance.

2 X 120GB Maxtor DMAX+9 SATA150/7200

After reading around a bit it seems that this SATA malarcky is worth
exploiting, and with the MOBO having built in RAID and SATA support I
thought what the hell. I am supposed to place these 2 drive in a RAID 0
Stripe???? Can anyone shed light on this for me? How do I install this etc -
I have only ever installed bog standard IDE drives. This will be a clean
system in need of XP loading on it - how would I proceed to get the drives
and the OS installed and setup properly?????? Desperate for help on this
one.

Thermaltek Xavier Case - Silver

They look good and it comes with a 400W PSU. Will this PSU be enough to
supply the prescott alongside everything else. I am hoping to get a pretty
powerful graphics card at some point later on (maybe the upcoming 6800
nvidia or a FX5900).

All the other bits and bobs will be bought as well, rewriter etc etc

Desperate for some advice on this lot

Cheers

Daniel Yates

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Daniel Yates wrote:

> Hi all
>
> Well, I have been doing further homework etc working towards my big day of
> buying (a couple of months from now)
>
> My current shopping list is as follows
>
> Intel Pentium 4 3.2Ghz Prescott
>
> I have gone for this as this one doesn't seem to have done too bad in the
> temperature issue unlike the 2.8Ghz and 3.0Ghz. I contemplated the Extreme
> Edition P4 also but due to Longhorn reputedly not supporting it I have
> decided to avoid it for the sake of forward compatibility.
>
> Asus P4P800 Deluxe
>
> After having this recommended, and reading the multitude of reviews for it I
> don't think there could be any alternative.
>
> Matched Pair of 256MB Corsair CL2 RAM (512MB Total)
>
> I am no memory expert but after reading around it seems the lower the Cas
> Latency the better, and I read nothing but "ooh corsair this, ooh corsair
> that" so I thought they must be good. I want the matched pair for the dual
> powered RAM thingy for better performance.
>
> 2 X 120GB Maxtor DMAX+9 SATA150/7200
>
> After reading around a bit it seems that this SATA malarcky is worth
> exploiting, and with the MOBO having built in RAID and SATA support I
> thought what the hell. I am supposed to place these 2 drive in a RAID 0
> Stripe???? Can anyone shed light on this for me? How do I install this etc -
> I have only ever installed bog standard IDE drives. This will be a clean
> system in need of XP loading on it - how would I proceed to get the drives
> and the OS installed and setup properly?????? Desperate for help on this
> one.
>
> Thermaltek Xavier Case - Silver
>
> They look good and it comes with a 400W PSU. Will this PSU be enough to
> supply the prescott alongside everything else. I am hoping to get a pretty
> powerful graphics card at some point later on (maybe the upcoming 6800
> nvidia or a FX5900).
>
> All the other bits and bobs will be bought as well, rewriter etc etc
>
> Desperate for some advice on this lot
>
> Cheers
>
> Daniel Yates

take a look a silentpcreview.com