Fusion-io SSD Setup Screams Along at 1 TB/sec

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jezza333

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008
[citation][nom]nonxcarbonx[/nom]Why doesn't the author name the price? "If you have to ask..."This isn't a review, it's an article about a curiosity. These news stories shouldn't be so vague that I have to go fishing for info on my own.[/citation]
"If you have to ask then you can't afford it"

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
on a more practical note... what is the performance of one? I'm fairly certain the cache in my cpu doesn't even go that fast, never mind all the bottle necks in bewteen! it's good to see that we are making headway in the biggest bottle neck in the system.

I suppose it doesn't really matter what the specs would be for personal use, as even one of these cards is probably over $10k

noiz

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
jgeorgiou.eu
[citation][nom]Transmaniacon[/nom]You push your power button, and the Windows log-in screen is already waiting by the time you look up...[/citation]

No.. because you simply don't use Windows! :p

bamslang

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2009
By combining the performance of 220 of these ioDrive Octal cards into a six-rack system

The title is a little misleading. I figured I would come in here and see some practical way of reaching that spead after reading the title and see it takes 220 of these cards!? That's like saying "HDD Setup has over a petabytes of storage" and seeing it's just a huge setup of 500 2TB HDD.

G

If you need to ask for the price then you haven't the money to pay for it !!!!!

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Hmmm.... my DDR3 on my i7 rig is 13GB/s. My L1 cacche (the fastest cache) is something like 89GB/s.
Just damn.

Be nice to have an extended board with 6-8 of these in it. At those speeds, you could start replacing your volatile RAM (or have a system with no RAM at all, all things are on a extremely fast drive setup).

we_are_theBorg

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2009
I know that everyone here doesn't have the same technology understanding, but it's still amazing to me to see people with no grasp of the topic at hand weigh in with ignorant near non sequiturs.

Wozniak (who lends serious credibility to this project by his mere presence) is quoted as saying that these solutions are targeted at "high performance computing". This is industry lingo for supercomputers, which can cost hundreds of millions of dollars and require hundreds of 72U racks and their own small power plants.

If the numbers quoted here are accurate, then using 3U, 16 drive enclosures (the industry standard), or something with similar density, just the disk drive enclosures required for the equivalent number of hard drives (performance wise... and clearly capacity isn't the focus here), would be something like:

10395 rack mount units, or 145 72U Enclosures.

If you use 2.5" SAS drives that figure could be a lot lower, but you get the idea...

If you use the current generation 300GB Seagate Cheetah 15k.7 SAS drive as an example, those drives would pull a (stated typical) 716284.8 watts/hr, and all this doesn't even take in to consideration the "396 SAN controllers" and "792 I/O servers"

In comparison, a thing that has equivalent performance and uses only six racks is revolutionary, and it's likely to easily pay for its self in power and reliability over the projected lifetime of a system utilizing these drives.

Those Seagate drives I mentioned a little while ago have an MTBF of 1.6 million hours, so with 55,440 of them we're talking about a drive failing about every 29 hours...

Yay, now your favorite national government will be able to virtually model new nuclear weapons more efficiently than ever!

Go look at http://www.top500.org and stop gibbering about Crysis...

G

Well, to be fair to those who understand the normal bottlenecks inside of a systems memory system, these cards use a special very expensive technology that makes it considerably faster. This technology is called "InfiniBand". To explain what this does in simple terms, first you need to know that it takes 5 system clocks to go from a PCI-E card to system memory, with this tech, it only takes 3 clocks. This technology also works as an incredibly fast low latency networking device at the same time. Each card employs both an internal and an external InfiniBand link and the systems intelligently use the fastest route when accessing data.

Status
Not open for further replies.