Question Future-proof very fast SSD

Star2222

Reputable
May 4, 2021
Hi,
I am planning to upgrade motherboard and CPU in the next couple of months. In the meantime I am going to buy a couple of M.2 SSDs but in order to use them in the future system, I am looking for ultra-fast ones I can use in my current system.

So assuming the next motherboard I will buy is the current state of the art (i.e. the transfer speed limitation is not the CPU or motherboard) what are some of the fastest and most reliable M.2 SSD?

Thank you :)

kanewolf

Titan
Hi,
I am planning to upgrade motherboard and CPU in the next couple of months. In the meantime I am going to buy a couple of M.2 SSDs but in order to use them in the future system, I am looking for ultra-fast ones I can use in my current system.

So assuming the next motherboard I will buy is the current state of the art (i.e. the transfer speed limitation is not the CPU or motherboard) what are some of the fastest and most reliable M.2 SSD?

Thank you :)
SUPER fast benchmarks for storage will make VERY little difference in your day to day usage. You should consider if the extra cost of a PCI Gen5 disk could be better spent on other higher quality components that could improve your experience.

Reactions: TeamRed2024

TeamRed2024

Proper
Aug 12, 2024
Agree with the above. I have a Gen5 slot but all my drives are Gen4. No point in paying for speed I won't notice in day to day use.

That being said... Samsung SSDs are a good choice.

USAFRet

Titan
I have a Samsung 980 Pro (PCIe 4.0) as my OS drive. One of my others is an Intel 660p (slow, even in the PCIe 3.0 realm).

In daily use, it is really hard to tell the difference.

For a LOT of uses, the reast of the system has far more impact than the type of drive.

Here, rendering a 10 minute video out to 3 different drive types.
PCIe 4.0, PCIe 3.0, and SATA III.
All SSD, all 1TB each.

RNkMrdd.jpeg

Buy for reliability and warranty, not necessarily 'speed'.

Reactions: COLGeek
The caveat here is that you need to first know how your motherboard will process a Gen 5 m.2 drive. Some motherboards share data lanes between Gen 5 drives and the first PCIe slot which will slow your GPU performance. But if you want to just go ahead and get the fastest drive possible a Crucial T705 would be a good choice. Of the Gen 4 drives the Samsung 990 Pro, SK Hynix P41, Solidigm P44 Pro, Western Digital SN850X and Crucial T500 are among the fastest.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Do not be much swayed by unrealistic vendor synthetic SSD benchmarks.
They are done with apps that push the SSD to it's maximum using queue lengths of 30 or so. They are done on new/clean drives for repeatability.
Most desktop users will do one or two things at a time, so they will see queue lengths of one or two.
What really counts is the response times, particularly for small random I/O. That is what the os does mostly.
For that, the response times of current SSD's are remarkably similar. And quick.
Larger SSD's are preferable.
A SSD will slow down as it approaches full. That is because it will have a harder time finding free nand blocks to do an update without a read/write operation.
Larger ssd devices have more endurance.
Endurance is no longer an issue with today's larger ssd devices.
Ultra fast ssd devices may show up well during long sequential read operations such as a virus scan.
But, how often do we do that?