Futuremark Rolls Out 3DMark Update With VRMark Preview And New UI

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
ah yes, Futuremark benchmarks, pointless demo techs that do not make it in real world games,

You're missing the point. All that benchmark suites are designed to do is provide a consistent basis for comparison. I find 3DMark very useful.
The consistent part is the bogus part. If you compare the GPUs in 3d mark and then compare them in the real games that you`ll actually be playing you`ll find that the 3D Mark scores have very little saying.

Also, like it has been subject in the past companies try to optimise drivers for the benchmarks , this even happens in the phone industry where the phones OC themselves to get better results, even though that will not be the typical performance.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
ah yes, Futuremark benchmarks, pointless demo techs that do not make it in real world games,

You're missing the point. All that benchmark suites are designed to do is provide a consistent basis for comparison. I find 3DMark very useful.
The consistent part is the bogus part. If you compare the GPUs in 3d mark and then compare them in the real games that you`ll actually be playing you`ll find that the 3D Mark scores have very little saying.

Also, like it has been subject in the past companies try to optimise drivers for the benchmarks , this even happens in the phone industry where the phones OC themselves to get better results, even though that will not be the typical performance.

And lets not forget other cases where benchmarks (not necessarily futuremark that I know of) optimize for certain hardware. There was a popular CPU benchmark tool that would identify non-Intel processors and report poorer results by simply not running "more intensive" tests on them. Researchers changed the CPUID of a VIA C7 and it magically scored better in the benchmark.

Status
Not open for further replies.