FW900 Sony 24" monitor

G

Hi
Does anyone have experience of Sony monitor GDM-FW900 24" widescreen 16:10. Is it good for videoediting, watching DVDs, gaming and Officework? It costs a lot, but it´s maybe worth the money.

GoSharks

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
For Office work I prefer the standard 4:3 aspect ratio monitors. Pages in text editors for example tend to be taller than they are wide and look squished in a 16:9 format.

Jim Witkowski
Chief Hardware Engineer
Cornerstone / MOnitorsdirect.com

Jim at http://www.monitorsdirect.com

compuhan

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2002
I've seen one at fry's electronics and it looked rather pale, though the setting could've been messed with. I also read, though searches, that text focus is not uniform. The dot pitch is variable and some say this increases likelihood of poor corner focus. My cpde200 also has variable pitch but no such focus problems exist. Besides the wide aspect, this model is probably inferior to the gdm f520 which has a constant .22 pitch not the mention its winning the "best aperture grill crt" by displaymate (they make calibration programs for monitors).

From what I've gathered from internet searching for reviews and my own experience with monitors is that motion apps (videos, gaming, dvd, etc.) look great on top of the line monitors but not necessarily text, though it can be good too. I had a cpd e540 which had bad ghosting which made it horrible for text, but the color, brightness, contrat made it look excellent for games. Because I do both (text and video) and am very picky (good eyes I guess) I returned it and am now waiting for a mitsubishi dp2060u which I hope is better (based on reviews). Personally, I am waiting and hoping for more competition of wide screen crts before buying the only out there. I'd choose the f520, but that too is costly, so I'll take cheaper mitsubishi" while I wait for superior wide screens to come.