[SOLVED] FX 4710, possible upgrade/overhaul

Jan 20, 2022
Pulled my old Gateway FX 4710 out of the catacombs this morning, been meaning to do something with this thing for years. Really want to possibly turn this either into a basic homework/browsing computer for my kids or if at all possible upgrade everything and turn it back into the gaming computer it once was.
Here are the current specs:
Core 2 Quad 2.50 GHz
6GB DDR2 640 GB
Had a Nvidia 9800 graphics card but needed a new one and husband's "tech friend" switched in a GF 210
It's running Windows Vista

Just wondering if I should scrap this thing or is it worth it to let my local computer service place upgrade everything and get it working again? I don't really have a budget for this as of yet, figured I'd get opinions on what it needs and then go from there.

Solution
Depends on the budget but right now the new intel 12 series stuff is looking pretty darn good.

We're on the cusp of DDR5 memory becoming main stream but again supply chain issues are keeping supply down and prices up.

If I were to HAVE to build a new PC now for general web browsing but transitioning to gaming in the future I'd probably pick an Intel 12 series cpu, like a 12400 $200 (Has build in graphics)
A decent DDR4 Motherboard
16gb of DDR4 ram from the motherboard QVL list
Case wise I'm really liking my Lian Li, either a Lancool 215 or Lancool Mesh II
Add a decent aftermarket CPU cooler & a good high quality Power Supply.
You can get a windows 11 key online pretty easily

Anyway, I really enjoy building a good PC, I'm sure there...

Kona45primo

Honorable
Jan 16, 2021
If you want to turn it into a gaming computer .. Yeah better starting off all new.

It's still not a great time to build a gaming PC due to graphics card prices.

You might want to consider parting it out, show your kids how to make a few bucks on eBay. Wait a year and hope gpu prices have calmed down, and build a pc with the kids.

But yeah, upgrading that is a no no. Even a cheap laptop would be a better basic browser.

Reactions: King_V
Jan 20, 2022
If you want to turn it into a gaming computer .. Yeah better starting off all new.

It's still not a great time to build a gaming PC due to graphics card prices.

You might want to consider parting it out, show your kids how to make a few bucks on eBay. Wait a year and hope gpu prices have calmed down, and build a pc with the kids.

But yeah, upgrading that is a no no. Even a cheap laptop would be a better basic browser.

Thanks, kinda figured this was a lost cause, had no idea GPU's were so hard to get ahold of lately. I've had my desktop Mac since '12, so I'm totally out of the loop but it's starting to slow down and show it's age so I'm in the market for a new, fun PC. Hopefully this can limp along a little while longer.

Kona45primo

Honorable
Jan 16, 2021
The plus side is aside from gpu prices home PC's are FAAAST! And relatively inexpensive. Combined with a good SSD it'll blow your mind how fast they are. New monitors as well have gotten really good. Will be a great experience

Jan 20, 2022
The plus side is aside from gpu prices home PC's are FAAAST! And relatively inexpensive. Combined with a good SSD it'll blow your mind how fast they are. New monitors as well have gotten really good. Will be a great experience

Any recommendations? Again, coming from using a Mac for years now I don't even know what's good anymore. I was thinking about going for a laptop but I think I'd miss my massive 27" monitor and honestly with all the issues I hear about laptop's overheating, battery issues, screen issues, etc it's just kind of daunting.

USAFRet

Titan
Any recommendations? Again, coming from using a Mac for years now I don't even know what's good anymore. I was thinking about going for a laptop but I think I'd miss my massive 27" monitor and honestly with all the issues I hear about laptop's overheating, battery issues, screen issues, etc it's just kind of daunting.
If you're looking for a whole new system (and you are, with those parts), start here:

Post in the System forum.

Pulled my old Gateway FX 4710 out of the catacombs this morning, been meaning to do something with this thing for years. Really want to possibly turn this either into a basic homework/browsing computer for my kids or if at all possible upgrade everything and turn it back into the gaming computer it once was.
Here are the current specs:
Core 2 Quad 2.50 GHz
6GB DDR2 640 GB
Had a Nvidia 9800 graphics card but needed a new one and husband's "tech friend" switched in a GF 210
It's running Windows Vista

Just wondering if I should scrap this thing or is it worth it to let my local computer service place upgrade everything and get it working again? I don't really have a budget for this as of yet, figured I'd get opinions on what it needs and then go from there.
Browsing computer/retro gaming PC for the kids yes. Upgrading it to play the latest games no, you would need to replace literally everything in the PC except the case. I would give it to the kids and build yourself a new PC.

What sort of budget do you have available?

Kona45primo

Honorable
Jan 16, 2021
Depends on the budget but right now the new intel 12 series stuff is looking pretty darn good.

We're on the cusp of DDR5 memory becoming main stream but again supply chain issues are keeping supply down and prices up.

If I were to HAVE to build a new PC now for general web browsing but transitioning to gaming in the future I'd probably pick an Intel 12 series cpu, like a 12400 $200 (Has build in graphics)
A decent DDR4 Motherboard
16gb of DDR4 ram from the motherboard QVL list
Case wise I'm really liking my Lian Li, either a Lancool 215 or Lancool Mesh II
Add a decent aftermarket CPU cooler & a good high quality Power Supply.
You can get a windows 11 key online pretty easily

Anyway, I really enjoy building a good PC, I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who would love to help as well.

I've been pretty disappointed with prebuilt desktop PC's it seams like they are always a bit cheap on a few parts, be it case, motherboard, ram, poweer supply...

Solution