FX-6300 overclock problems

Zastrow

Reputable
Jul 17, 2015
I have a FX-6300 and I have been getting some heating problems and I've had to turn my Power Options CPU max performance to 99 to limit overclocking. The thing is it decreases in performance a ton. I was wondering how I could achieve a 3.5 ghz not more than that because of heating issues do any of you know how? It was automatically overclocking my CPU to 3.8-4.1

Solution
The bas clock of the 6300 is 3.5, while the turbo is 4.1. There would be no gain of trying for anything less than 4.2. I believe your cooler is not working properly or the paste was not applied. The cpu was designed to run at 3.5 so I would put my money on the motherboard needing to be flashed to the newest bios or to readjust your cooler and thermal paste
Zatstrow.

To give some idea of what the problem might be with the FX 6300 cpu you have fitted to the motherboard.

Please list the brand, and motherboard model you are using.
The cpu cooler you are using that us attached to the FX 6300 cpu.

What the Idle temperatures of the FX 6300 cpu are when sat in the bios options menu, or when the system is in a most Idle state such as sat displaying the windows desktop with no other programs, or games on the system running.

Describe how the cpu cooler is attached to the cpu, via four screws or by using the stock Amd cooling clips and tension arm found on stock Amd cpu`s provided with most retail bought boxed cpu packages.

Also check that the fan on the cpu cooler is running, and post it`s current Rpm speeds.

And please state at what frequency the cpu is currently running at.
And what the core voltage of the cpu is set to.

nerro120

Honorable
Feb 13, 2014
The bas clock of the 6300 is 3.5, while the turbo is 4.1. There would be no gain of trying for anything less than 4.2. I believe your cooler is not working properly or the paste was not applied. The cpu was designed to run at 3.5 so I would put my money on the motherboard needing to be flashed to the newest bios or to readjust your cooler and thermal paste

Solution