FX 8150 OVERHEATS ON STOCK!!! HELP THIS NEWBIE!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

usama197

Honorable
Mar 16, 2012
Hey, I built my first computer and here are the light spces.
FX 8150
Asus M5A99X evo Mobo
1 gb Saphire 6770 ddr5
8 gb Corsair ddr3 1600mhz
OCZ 120 GB SATA 3 SSD
750 gb WD HDD 7200rpm
Corsair CX 500 PSU
Corsair H60 Watercooler
Haf X full tower case

I tried to over clock it to 4.6 GHZ and raised the stock vcore from 1.28xx to 1.38xx and OC was unstable so I tried to go back to stock but the vcore was still at 1.38 and everytime i change the vcore manually to 1.28 it seems to go over to 1.3xxx and its burning my processor. On full load i was getting 69 C so i stopped the test quickly. Went into bios and saw that the vcore was at 1.28xx. I restarted the computer and some how the whole windows experience changed... the date went back to 2008 and firefox wouldnt let me go to google as it stated this website was unreliable!?

I tried to clear the CMOS as it was stated in the manual and after the process i was given two options
press f1 to recover bios setting or press enter

i tired to press enter and it doesn't work pressed f1 and am back to 1.38 vcore!?

Is their something wrong with the processor or the mobo? I tried my stock cou fan and it was also burning it over 70 C on p95.

btw i tried to do a windows experience test and it failed.

What should I do? HELP !!!

Solution
G
Wait wait wait. Are you monitoring the SOCKET temp or the Core Temps? Socket Temps always read pretty high (I had a 1055T, 965BE, 720BE so I know the last gen pretty well. All were OC'd). With AMD's you want to pay attention to the CORE temps with (funny enough) CoreTemp. The temp in the BIOS is the SOCKET temp and no matter what you do, there really isn't a great way to knock that down by much. Also, not every BIOS reports socket temps accurately. With the old 1055T's the first batch was off between 8C and 12C. So yeah, get back to us when you are loaded and running CoreTemp (screen pics will help verify.)

Edit: Re-reading your post I think it's more than likely you are reading the socket temp. Max safe for that chip is 61C...