Fx 8320 heating problem

Jul 9, 2015
Hey guys need a serious help just built a new pc 3 days ago......
Pc specs:-
Fx8320 black edition
Gtx 970
Stock cpu cooler
M97 asus motherboard
2x 8gb corsair vengence

As soon as i turn on my computer temp reaches 45-49 and as i run some games like battlefield 3 the temp shoots to 65 and pc starts hanging out....and the fan start running at 6500 rpm.....even if i close all the programs it shows 100℅ cpu usage....plz guys i beg u help me......

rudi95

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2012
dont sweat it my friend had the same problem and the best solution is a new cpu cooler, i would suggest something like the corsair hyper 212evo if your on a budget or if you have some spare cash get something like an h80i etc

Ps. Have you reseated the cooler and checked that there is a problem with thermal grease ?

spdragoo

Splendid
Ambassador
Unless your computer room is fairly warm, or you OC'd the CPU, the stock cooler should have been OK. So don't rush out to buy an aftermarket cooler just yet.

First off, is your case tucked away in a spot with bad airflow? My old computer desk had a "cubicle" for a tower case...but while the section had a door (I suppose so that you could close it when not using the PC) it also had the rear covered (typical "cardboard" backing with two 2" holes for "cable management"), & the old system tended to have heating issues (lost a CPU that way). I had removed the backing portion to free up some airflow, but airflow was always an issue. My newer computer desk, though, eliminated it completely -- it's an actual office desk, & my mid-tower sits out in the open so airflow is completely unrestricted. Make sure your case isn't restricted in its airflow -- nothing like having the hot air exhausting out the back only to be sucked back into the front instead of cooler air to really roast your CPU & HDD.

Second, how many case fans do you have? If you've only got the default rear exhaust fan, it wouldn't hurt to add at least 1 front fan so that more cool air is sucked inside. And most mid- or full-tower cases can usually fit at least four 120mm fans (2-3 intake, 2-3 exhaust), so you can easily max out your case fans for under $20, while vastly improving your temps. I have the same CPU (see signature) with the stock cooler, & idle temps usually stay below 40C, & even in BF4 gameplay I usually top out around 57-58C max.

Third, have you tried reapplying the thermal paste & reseating the CPU fan? Sometimes, if it's not properly applied or installed, it doesn't make good contact with the CPU. Good contact is essential to prevent overheating.

Finally, did you OC the CPU? If you OC'd it but kept the stock cooler, that's going to cause a major heat issue.

As others said an aftermarket cooler is highly advisable for an FX-8320, however you might have another issue...

"even if i close all the programs it shows 100℅ cpu usage"

That's not normal, some program is taxing your CPU in an abnormal way, possibly a virus/trojan so I suggest you scan your computer with your antivirus and with Malwarebytes.

Try using Procexp (an alternative to Windows' Process Manager) to find out which program exactly is the one pushing your CPU to 100% usage, that would make it easier to find out what's going on.

Jul 9, 2015

Jul 9, 2015

Jul 9, 2015
guys the problem was with the motherboard ASUS M5A97 r2.0

i replaced the motherboard with my old mobo and the processor is working like beast......i have also done stress test but the temp bumps up to 55 max even with the stock cooler

i just want to know should i buy the same model of mobo or go for a different one

Jul 9, 2015

Jul 9, 2015

Jul 9, 2015
no spdragoo i havent OC it yet....but i figured the problem...it was with my mobo....when i replaced the board with my old one the processor is working excellent.......can u plz suggest me a good motherboard for this cpu....my rig is

1.fx 8320
2.nvidia gtx 970
3.2x 8gb corsair vengence ram
4.cooler master 212 cooler
5.corsair 650 cs psu
6.cabinet: need suggestion on that also
7.2x 2tb wd green cavier hdd

thanks