FX 8350 4.0 frequency drops

Tokke89

Reputable
Dec 7, 2014
Hi all,

Ive just did an stresstest in OCCT for my CPU and it is giving me some questions. First of all, the cputin temperature goes all the way op de 84 degrees and is still rising in small amounts, but the package temperature of the CPU is idling under stress at 60 to 64 degrees. however when i just the reports that OCCT makes after stressing I can see that the Frequency is dropping from 3.993 to 3.337 or anywhere in that range. I was wondering if this is considered normal. Here are the report files from OCCT https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9wf5rgvsxb6xe5n/AABEYtLFHWnAWAnv2eukxRRja?dl=0

the rest of PC specs are:
CPUcooler tt Spin Q VT
GPU MSI r9 290x 4GB gaming
CPU FX8350 4.0ghz
Housing Tt Commander MS-I bk ATX
Motherboard Asrock fatal1ty 990fx killer
HDD Schrijf 500GB
Ram D3 8GB 1600-11 DragonRAM K2 GEI
PSU Coolermaster 700watt

thanks in advance

Greetings Tom

Tokke89

Reputable
Dec 7, 2014
Alright, what would be my best option in this case? Instal more fans? Of buy another case?

Also the temp of the cputinis at idle around 30 - 35 and from the cpupackage it is around 24 degrees degrees.

Greetings Tom

slyu9213

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
An 8350 shouldn't be that hot at stock settings especially since you're not even using the stock cooler so something is wrong. First thing I would do is remove the heatsink, clean, reapply paste and re-install. If that doesn't help you may think about getting a better cooler, adding more airflow through more case fans, better cable management. One thing a lot of users who OC CPUs or at least the FX series is to provide cooling to the VRM and the back of the CPU socket. To do that you need to have a fan aimed at the VRM heatsink and then for the socket you need to have a fan placed behind the motherboard where the CPU would be. That could drop temps (VRM or socket temps) ~15C.

Tokke89

Reputable
Dec 7, 2014
Reaplied heatsink, and the temps at cputin still rise above the 70c. Could it just be a misreading from occt? Because the throttling does not occur under a stresstest in aida64. Also the stability test in amd overdrive shows that the cores are still under the thermal margin after a full hour of testing. Also the frequency does not drop in aida 64 and aod.

Anyone knows what program to believe?

Greeting Tom

Sounds like your VRMs are getting hot. Not the CPU. You can do a few things..

Try putting a fan on the backplate of the CPU and see if it helps
or
Try putting a fan to blow directly on the heat sink of the VRMs next to the CPU.

I put the fan that came with the stock cooler behind the motherboard to blow on the backplate, and the temperature dropped at least 20 degrees.