Question Fx 8350 for sever.

May 8, 2019
I have upgraded out of a FX 8350 with a M5A99FX PRO R 2.0 and thinking of using it to build a home server. Would use for some gaming ( 3 or 4 max players) plex, and files. The motherboard has 8g of ram. I am sure this is not enough but can be upgraded. I would also add a be quiet hard rock cooler for cpu. As for games Farm Sim, Minecraft not sure on the others as they are games my 9 year old plays. I am very new to servers so this would be a starting point only. For OS not sure if I would go ubuntu or windows.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
If your 9 year old is to have any say-so, stick to Windows. It'll be whats used in class. Pro has better networking capabilities vrs Home, but Home has better entertainment versatility out of the box.

Yes, you'll need ram, if running any Virtual Machines, that'll eat up that 8Gb quick. Figure 8Gb for OS and 4Gb per VM at a minimum.

Minecraft, LoL, and most e-sports really won't put a dent in even an FX capability on something like a 1080p 60Hz TV, most of what'll be taxed is the gpu when gaming.