FX-8350 Overclock is using 1.58 V with air cooling. Is this safe?

dragonmatt81

Commendable
Oct 21, 2016
I have only overclocked CPUs a couple of times so I don't have a lot of experience. I was able to get a FX-8350 to run at 4.6 Ghz but the Vcore is at 1.58 V. This seems really high especially with air cooling (212 Evo using push/pull). I ran Prime95 on Blend for a little over an hour with no errors or warnings. I kept a close eye on the temperatures during the test and 95% of the time the CPU temp was around 55c. 99% of the time it was under 60c. A few times it spiked as high as 64c but only for a few seconds before going back to the normal 55c. Would this be considered a safe and stable overclock? I only use this PC to game and surf the web.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970-Gaming SLI
CPU: FX-8350
CPU Cooler: CM 212 Evo (dual fans running push/pull)

FX8350_4648mhz_OC.jpg

gedwards913

Reputable
Dec 4, 2016
That's one you are going to have to figure out. I am overclocking by raising my multiplier and just a smidge on the voltage on an i7-6700k to achieve 4.6-4.7GHZ. I am not pushing it by any means. While I was waiting on my liquid cooler to arrive, I put a 212 Evo with just the push fan on and it handled under load just fine. Your CPU Puts out more TDP, about 40W if I remember correctly.

I don't think you will have a problem but I would incrementally bring it up over time and see how it performs. Try 1.1, then 1.25, etc. Try these settings under load for a half hour to an hour (play some games!!!!) and see how your cooling does. You may end up having to tweak your RPMs around in the process, so save your settings if you can before tinkering.

I hope this helps!