Question FX 8350 Overclock

Feb 8, 2019
I am currently at 4.7ghz @ 1.344v on a push pull cm hyper 212 evo. Is it worth it to purchase a better cooler like a noctua nhd15s or corsair h115i? to achieve something like 5-5.3ghz ? would i gain a lot of performance from 4.7 or would it just fry my chip super quick ?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
If you have the vcore set at 1.334V and the chip is doing 4.7GHz, you have a damn good piece of silicon. The best I've been able to get my FX-8350 to is 4.7GHz, and that was with 1.5V. I've had 3 of them, and that was the best one.

To answer your question, if the temp is your limitation, then the better cooler would be an option to try. Btw, I had a push-pull 212 EVO on mine too. Before that I had a Corsair H60 liq. cooler. Same result with either.

Reactions: Banned by Net
Feb 8, 2019
Yea I’ve seen no signs of throttling on amd overdrive and coretemp I’ve also tried using speedfan and they all seem to give me the same temps (between 55-57c)

Feb 8, 2019
I’m pretty confident I could hit 5.0+ ghz but my main question is would it be worth it to get a better cooler and do this ? As in would the extra .3ghz even be a noticeable bump in FPS with my rtx 2070 ?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Say If going from to 4.7 to 5.1 would only give me an extra 2 FPS then it’s not really worth it to me IMO
That I can't say. The amount of improvement would vary depending on the game, the screen resolution, the in-game settings, the number of players, etc.
In single player gaming (campaign mode) you would see the greatest improvement, tho. And I suspect your FX-9590 (what you effectively have) is bottlenecking the GTX 2070 now unless you game at very high resolutions.

Feb 8, 2019
That I can't say. The amount of improvement would vary depending on the game, the screen resolution, the in-game settings, the number of players, etc.
In single player gaming (campaign mode) you would see the greatest improvement, tho. And I suspect your FX-9590 (what you effectively have) is bottlenecking the GTX 2070 now unless you game at very high resolutions.
It does bottleneck. I get about 120-150fps on half high half medium settings in bo4. Would gaming at a higher resolution give me a consistent 144 FPS since the cpu would be bottlenecking less ? I currently play on 1080p

Feb 8, 2019
Got a h100i pro rgb on sale at local store for $70. Hooked it up and am now at 5.0ghz on 1.44v tried 5.2 but failed. Running push pull on front mounted radiator and temps barely break 55c at full load stress test