[SOLVED] FX 8350 overheating ? Causing shut down ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jan 5, 2020
Greetings,

My PC build has an old 8350 fx that i think it's overheating. However i would like to ask different opinions and see if these temps are normal for this model and if it's possible to lower them.

While in gaming sessions MSI afterburner shows that this beast goes to 75 to even 77 degrees, This seems insanely high and i have to ask myself why ?

The thermal paste is new, and PC case has noctua fans all over that are set to from the front of the case to draw cold air in and the back of the case to suck the warm one out.

Also, sometimes my PC instantly shuts down while gaming. Not the shut down procedure but an instant turn off pc ,like somebody would pull the power chord off.

It's not an PSU issue as i replaced it a few days ago. Is the overheat causing this ?

Solution
Yeah the 360mm AIO was an exaggeration as some FX CPUs had a 220W TDP at stock and once OCed they reach 300W or more.

I don't understand why some FX CPUs had a max temp of 57C.

The FX 9590 and 9370 both had 220w TDP and needed an AIO and a ton of case fans to even consider working properly. The reason for the AIO though was to draw the heat exchange away from the CPU area, and then cool the VRMs separately just so it would run. Trying to cool both (like with air) was just too much heat in one spot.

The temp listed on the site (57C, 61C, etc) is not comparable to what you would traditionally consider for CPU temperature (say for example an Intel CPU running at 80C). FX CPU's didn't have a normal temp sensor that you could...

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Honestly, my feelings are the same as before. The temperatures are lousy and may have been for some time and while the motherboard will work fine with an 8350 out of box, I suspect either the VRMs are getting way hotter or are actually at the point, from habitual overheating, at which they're starting to go.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
I tested it with a game that caused my PC to turn off instantly. I got Thermal margine numbers such as minus 11.

I shall change the cooler and paste tomorow. Is the single pea drop still the best way to apply it ?

Yes grain of rice or half a Pea. 212 is good enough but there are way better choices out there. Where are you located and buying from? BTW many coolers come with TIM already on them so you don't even need to worry about putting it on.

Honestly, my feelings are the same as before. The temperatures are lousy and may have been for some time and while the motherboard will work fine with an 8350 out of box, I suspect either the VRMs are getting way hotter or are actually at the point, from habitual overheating, at which they're starting to go.

He may have damaged the VRMs I agree, but if he had the stock downdraft cooler they were being cooled. However in overheating the CPU he was beating them up anyway.

Reactions: Phaaze88
I would. Also, what case do you have and how many fans do you have? Are you running stock cooling? I know someone mentioned not using an AIO. But I remember working on a system once with an FX 6100 that went bad because for some reason or other the stock cooler would not keep it cool enough. I remember working a good while trying to find the cause of that. The end solution was replacing the CPU and installing a hyper 212 cooler onto it. After that it worked fine. Only issue was a year or 2 later when the fan on the 212 died. Which was a relatively inexpensive fix to install a push pull setup on it at that point. Never got anymore calls on that unit except for questions about graphics card etc.

Jan 5, 2020
Yes grain of rice or half a Pea. 212 is good enough but there are way better choices out there. Where are you located and buying from? BTW many coolers come with TIM already on them so you don't even need to worry about putting it on.

He may have damaged the VRMs I agree, but if he had the stock downdraft cooler they were being cooled. However in overheating the CPU he was beating them up anyway.

I'm romanian, we have several IT stores around with parts.

Sites like Pcgarage / emag etc. If you could recommend a different cooler,it would be appreciated.

Oct 25, 2019
you never said anything about what case and how many fans and in what config they are running at.
I have my old amd 8320 that i OC to 4.5GHz with a ----- coolermaster 120aio and it does the job fairly. Im getting 62deg celcius on benchmarks like prime and on games around 57-62c.
Sometimes i hit a peak of 75c for 5 seconds but i never experienced and shut downs or the like.
i also overclock the gpu 7970 to 1200mhz and the system ram to 2133 mhz. No shut downs.
I have 2x intake fans and 2 exhaust fast including the 120aio fan.
And heres the catch that made me make it.

stock intel fan over vrm heat sink and an 80mm fan behind the cpu socket.

No probs here. Been doing this for a year now.

MOD EDIT Profanity removed, do not use profanity on this forum.

Jan 5, 2020
Hello everyone.

My excuse for replying to this so late. I just wanted to say that i managed to solve the problem and it was indeed an overheating problem.

I mounted the EVO 212 , new paste and two noctua fans on the Evo 212 as well as remade the entire cable management in my case and i no longer have issues. I have good temps in AMD overdrvive ( thermal margin ) and other monitoring software while running applications that were overheating my CPU.

Thank you for the help and suggestions.

Feb 1, 2020
Another possible solution ive found on some AMD Processors is that they develop a glitch and unfortunately some when they hit the 100% power on windows they crash somewhat like they would if there overheating. only fix ive found for this is go into your power options on windows and under the change advanced power settings turn the Processor Management settings to Max 90% and Minimum i usually run about 5% this seems to be a issue mostly with the older AMD processors but have also heard about it happening in the newer Ryzen processors during some games.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Another possible solution ive found on some AMD Processors is that they develop a glitch and unfortunately some when they hit the 100% power on windows they crash somewhat like they would if there overheating. only fix ive found for this is go into your power options on windows and under the change advanced power settings turn the Processor Management settings to Max 90% and Minimum i usually run about 5% this seems to be a issue mostly with the older AMD processors but have also heard about it happening in the newer Ryzen processors during some games.

This is literally and completely not true, there is no "developed glitch". By running it at 90% all you're doing is preventing the processor from running at max power thereby preventing it from getting its hottest. Its not a glitch that has developed, the underlying issue is still the same, the processor is overheating and throttling or crashing the system.

Do you really know what you're talking about? I've been using AMD processors since the AMD K6 and have almost never had this type of issue if ever.