FX-8350 vs FX-9590

CallMePuff

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014
So for my new computer I wanted to get an amd CPU and I know Steamroller cores aren't coming to FX CPUs in 2014.

So basically I plan on upgrading just the CPU on my new desktop in 2015.

Is the performance increase of the FX-9590 over the 8350 worth it for just 1-1.5 years?

Solution
The FX-9xxx series are nothing more than an overclocked 83xx and even then only high end motherboards will support it due to the high watts needed. The only performance difference you'll see is from the higher clock speed otherwise they are identical and not worth the money. It would be much easier to get a FX83xx and overclock it to achieve the same performance.

neieus

Distinguished
The FX-9xxx series are nothing more than an overclocked 83xx and even then only high end motherboards will support it due to the high watts needed. The only performance difference you'll see is from the higher clock speed otherwise they are identical and not worth the money. It would be much easier to get a FX83xx and overclock it to achieve the same performance.

Solution

Cryio

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
If you're buying a CPU and intend on keeping at stock frequencies, go for the 8350.
The difference between 4 GHz and 4.7 stock isn't going to be that big in games. So if it is mostly for gaming, go for the cheaper option : the 8350.

If you intend to buy that CPU not only for games, but also for heavy video/photo editing and rendering, than God Yes, go for the 9590. Yes, you will need a top of the line motherboard and PSU for it (also a really good cooler), but it will be worth it, even compared to an OC'd 4770K.

Also, it is implied that if you choose the 9590, it makes only sense you overclock it, seeing that it has a 220 TDP (it's basically your allowed space to OC)

PS: You said "for the next 1-1.5 years". In the next 1-2 years I think that parallel computing will gain heavy traction within the industry and seeing how the next-gen console already run on 8 core AMD cpus ... guess how's how going to affect your performance in the long run.

devilgodspider

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2013

My words exactly, get an FX8320 and a custom cooler or just an FX8350.