Fx 9590. What is the best 220W motherboard?

krprd1994

Prominent
Sep 30, 2017
My computer is failing since I bought it 3 years ago. It just freezes anytime (normally gaming), and the only way to make it respond is just holding power button for 10 secs. I've reached longer gaming times by reducing RAM frequency, but freezing still happens. Burnintest, prime95, memtest, chkdisk, 3dmark... All of them seem to say everything is fine, none of them ever gave me any errors.

Doing deeper research, I found out my motherboard is not compatible with my CPU, and I was thinking about either changing the mobo for a 220W compatible one, changing the CPU for a 140W CPU compatible with my current mobo, or (the most difficult) both buying a new CPU and MB for not more than 250€ and still having decent performance.

Pros and cons for each option:
1st option: 220W mobos are pretty expensive, and really hard to find, and also, I read that the cpu could still give me problems even with a new compatible mobo, because of its "too much power".
2nd option: don't know if only changing the CPU will solve the problem, cuz after 3 years of freezings with my current CPU, the mobo could be already fried.
3rd option: finding a decent performance and quality combination of CPU + MB for under 250 or 300€ is pretty hard.

First, do you agree, that could be the problem for freezing, or could it be anything else?
Second, if that's the problem. What of those three options would you recommend, and what would you buy in each case??

this is my build:
CPU: AMD FX Series FX-9590 4.7Ghz 8X
GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 760 DirectCU II OC 2GB GDDR5
Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
Cooling system: Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H80i
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1333 PC3-10666 16GB 2x8GB CL9
PSU: Nox Urano TX 850W
HDD: Seagate Desktop 7200.14 2TB SATA3 64MB
Case: Zalman Z3 Plus USB 3.0

THANKS!!!

Solution
BTW that motherboard you have IS a 220W board. Its the fact the 9590 sucks that even with a compatible board it still won't work right. Next, remove any overclock you have on the ram. It may work now, because you haven't used it overclocked long enough. In actuality while The 9590 says 1866 is best, really 1600 is the safety sweet spot.

That liquid cooler you have isn't big enough for it, you really need a 240 radiator for it. Also not everyone has had success underclocking it. Sometimes it doesn't work at all.

Now if you have a 300euro budget, IMO, ebay your board and CPU and memory, add to your budget and buy yourself a Ryzen 5 1400 and a motherboard and DDR4 ram for it. It will demolish that setup in every task and be...

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Freezing is a very common problem for 9590 builds. As you note in option two, you've been stressing your PC for a long time now.

I would not sink any more money a 2011 platform. The best thing to try would be underclocking the 9590 to 8350 specs - you essentially already have a 125W CPU available, just one that AMD overclocked the bejeesus out and made into a 220W CPU.

krprd1994

Prominent
Sep 30, 2017

Oh thx! I didn't think about that. What should I decrease then? BCLK or CPU proportion? Is this okay?

Thanks!!!

14vgw3d.jpg

G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1333 PC3-10666 16GB 2x8GB CL9

This is the wrong hardware for an FX CPU. You should be using a matched pair of DDR3-1866MHz memory. Setting RAM parameters in BIOS is important whether you use XMP or set it manually.

Good quality fans also need to be used in any spots in the case where they are optional.

krprd1994

Prominent
Sep 30, 2017

What if I underclocked the CPU as DSzymborski suggested?? Would I still need to change my RAM?

UPDATE: I read somewhere that this RAM could be overclocked so I overclocked it to 1866MHz without underclocking CPU, and everything seems fine, no signs of freezing after a while gaming. Still, I consider underclocking a good option, but I tried and did not work, any guide on how I should do it?

krprd1994

Prominent
Sep 30, 2017

HAHAHAHAH!! Thanks for that, but what would be the solution then? Underclocking as previously said?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
BTW that motherboard you have IS a 220W board. Its the fact the 9590 sucks that even with a compatible board it still won't work right. Next, remove any overclock you have on the ram. It may work now, because you haven't used it overclocked long enough. In actuality while The 9590 says 1866 is best, really 1600 is the safety sweet spot.

That liquid cooler you have isn't big enough for it, you really need a 240 radiator for it. Also not everyone has had success underclocking it. Sometimes it doesn't work at all.

Now if you have a 300euro budget, IMO, ebay your board and CPU and memory, add to your budget and buy yourself a Ryzen 5 1400 and a motherboard and DDR4 ram for it. It will demolish that setup in every task and be reliable.

Solution

Themastererr

Respectable
May 22, 2016
It's possible you're running into problems because the VRM's (the modules to the West and North of your CPU) are overheating. When you use liquid cooling you strip all airflow from the VRM's. FX builds were notorious for this problem. Especially with 125watt+ CPU's.

To test this put a table fan blowing into your PC, if no freezing occurs, you can bet it's the VRM's

krprd1994

Prominent
Sep 30, 2017

Thank you for your opinion. The more I search, the more I see I should have never bought this CPU, and the only way to solve it is just replace it. I will really consider your option, as this week, with Black Friday, I'm sure there will be components on sale. The only problem I see is someone buying my current components. I hope someone wants and buys 'em.

THX!!

USAFRet

Titan

Someone looking to buy a second hand CPU may come across this comment...

"The more I search, the more I see I should have never bought this CPU..."

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

eBay is the way to go with these parts trust me. If you try to sell them here you'll have a hard time, but on eBay you'll find some crazy "enthusiast" who has been searching far and wide for a good specimin.

There are going to be some good deals on Ryzen for black friday, I suggest get your Newegg and Amazon accounts ready to make some buys. All you need is a CPU, Motherboard, and memory (preferably DDR4-3000). I like the Ryzen 5 1400 as a value proposition, but a better one like the Ryzen 5 1600 is even better if you can swing it.

Themastererr

Respectable
May 22, 2016

Why would you sell components you know don't work? Greasy people

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

He's not selling a defective product, he's selling a crappy component that's working as expected and as anyone who researches their purchase ought to expect. If honestly selling a mediocre product was an issue, we wouldn't have Subway sandwiches or Nickelback CDs.

Now, if he is selling the FX-9590 proclaiming "amazingest AMD ever! I got Avogadro's Number FPS on Crysis 3!" then that would be a different matter.

krprd1994

Prominent
Sep 30, 2017

I found a good deal on a pair of "G.Skill Ripjaws V Red DDR4 2400 PC4-19200 8Gb CL15" for 130€. How about a Ryzen 5 1500X + That RAM + Asus PRIME B350-PLUS MB?? Seems like a good choice, but I would like to have some advice first, not to get a build that I would regret again.

Ryzen 5 1600 is only for 13€ more than the 1500X, because of BF, but I am wondering if the difference is worthy, and if it would work well with the RAM I mentioned. I only play games on FullHD as max, and I don't really mind having less than 60fps or having to lower settings to medium or medium-high to have a good performance, so I may have enough with a 2400MHz RAM, and more taking into account that GSkill supports OC, and the MB I mentioned only supports 2600MHz max.

Thank you!!

Themastererr

Respectable
May 22, 2016

Makes sense. As long as you don't make exaggerated claims about the product, it's o.k to sell it knowing it doesn't work.

The CPU and the motherboard are compatible with each other and his don't function properly. The experts on this thread suggest it is impossible for them to work together properly. If you sell those components together and don't advise the customer that they are broken, you are greasy. No awful comparison about mediocre products will justify that.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

The 1600 is worth it over the 1500X, it has 2 more cores, so you go from 4 core 8 thread to 6 core 12 thread, for that small amount of money its extremely worth it!

As for ram that board supports DDR4-3200, I just built a system for my aunt with it a couple months ago with a 1700 and DDR4-3000. I don't recommend trying to overclock ram beyond what its sold at, there is a reason its sold as DDR4-2400 and not DDR4-2666, because thats what its tested stable at. If you can get your hands on a DDR4-3000 kit, or at least DDR4-2666 there is a decent performance difference, it affects Ryzen quite a bit.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

They aren't broken, if you're getting into a 9590 then you should know what you are getting into. Honestly, if he went out and bought a 240 liquid AIO and used a different case that he could put some cooling fans over the VRMs then he may get it stable. But thats spending around $200 on a system that will still get its butt kicked by a low end 7th or 8th gen i3. Its just a waste of money.

This problem is however out of the box the problem from when these parts were new, its not unique to his combo. Search this forum you won't find anyone with a 9590 running stable.

Themastererr

Respectable
May 22, 2016
Of course nobody has it stable on this forum. This where you go for issues with your system, not when it's working properly.

I already suggested the VRM fix but was ignored by the OP. 10$ CPU fan over the VRM's would probably solve this entire thread.

The cooler not having enough TDP is far fetched. FX CPU's throttle back when close to thermal junction. They don't freeze

If what you're saying is true that these CPU's don't work out of the box AMD should have had a class action lawsuit against them but that's not the case.

USAFRet

Titan

The problem is not that it is "broken", but rather that "it works, but just barely"
Direct from the OP's comment..."My computer is failing since I bought it 3 years ago."
Apparently, in his case, it never worked quite right. And for 3 years, that was apparently acceptable to him.
How many other people out there are suffering the same issues, thinking that is "normal" for a PC?

I've seen many people with the mindset..."My system is so uber and out on the edge, that a little bit of instability is to be expected"

In any case...his doesn't work, and has never really worked.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Except any time I have seen this CPU stable its using a 240 AIO. This CPU is known for crashing and/or freezing because it hits its Tmax so quickly when throttling up. Fan over the VRMs is not the only answer, been there done that. We have had extensive experience with this CPU. Note how I said "may get it stable".

There should have been a class action lawsuit but nobody bought these CPUs, they were overpriced when introduced and not enough people bought them for anyone to care enough and put up enough money to do it. Class actions are a lot of work, you're not going to find a legal team to do it unless theres some cheddar in it for them. In this case it would be a small amount of burnt cheddar.