FX4100 OC to 4500MHz throttling

metallic51

Reputable
Dec 31, 2015
Hey,
I have this cpu for a while now, and after getting this Hyper 212 cooler I tried overclocking it up. I succeeded but after some problems, the bios configurations went to default, and after setting up again, its throttling when under load. It happened before but unfortunately I cannot remember how I fixed it the first time.
I noticed through HWmonitor it goes like this: it works normally under load, it'll drop its usage/clock to 1400MHz, temperature, and vcore to 1,080V. After some seconds it'll go back up, but it happens all the time.
Its temperatures at idle are 40~50c, and 50~70c under load.
I've tried various solutions from this and other forums, like changing vcore, power settings, disabling turbo core and cool 'n quiet for example, but no success

My system specs are:
CPU: AMD FX4100 @ 4,5GHz
Motherboard: ASUS M5A78L-M LX
GPU: XFX Radeon R7 260X 2GB
Ram: 2x Kingston 4096MB DDR3SRAM
PSU: Corsair CX430
CPU cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

Thank you in advance

edit: Found out that my mobo version isn't the one I first posted, its now corrected

Solution

DO NOT PUT ON THE STOCK COOLER!!!!!!!

Turn off the OC until you get a better PSU and maybe a better board.

nayrnayr1

Reputable
Aug 8, 2015

You pushed it too far, turn down the overclock, and also, you can use a tower cooler, liquid cooler, whatever type you want as long as it is sufficient for your purpose, and the stock cooler is not in this case.

nayrnayr1

Reputable
Aug 8, 2015

The board doesn't have to be great, run 4.5GHz every day on an FX-4300/GA-78LMT-USB3 but I also have a SeaSonic X-850... I agree on the PSU part.

metallic51

Reputable
Dec 31, 2015
Thanks for the input. I'll turn it down and see if it works better. I'll try putting the stock cooler again later to see if the problem is with the vrm temperature
Also, are those temperatures fine? I always see them not going over 50c under load with the hyper 212 in other computers

nayrnayr1

Reputable
Aug 8, 2015

DO NOT PUT ON THE STOCK COOLER!!!!!!!

Turn off the OC until you get a better PSU and maybe a better board.

Solution

metallic51

Reputable
Dec 31, 2015

Alright.
I first tuned it down to 4GHz, no success. I turned it off, back to 3,6GHz as it says in the box. Temperatures are much lower now, it no longers drops clock and vcore.
Tested with both a CPU intensive, a GPU intensive game and AMD's overdrive babymode stress test. The CPU one (BF4) lags a bit as expected, but everything else is ok. The temperature on all of them it didn't go over 50c under load and its floating 30~38c when idle.
I'll start saving for a new mobo, PSU and processor as recommended.
Kinda funny that using the default mode made it work better than the overclock.
Thanks and happy new year to you all.