Fx8350 throttle at 53degree celcius

Jul 18, 2018
My CPU throttle at 53°c during stress test but after a few stress test it throttle at 46°c stays at around 1.3 GHz for like 10 seconds then goes up
Help!

Solution
The only real way to measure vrm,temp is remove the sink & use an infrared thermostat.

You're probably ok now with the wraith.
All the asrock pro & extreme 970 boards suffer vrm throttling with 8 core 125w chips

It even says on the compatibility chart to use a downblowing cooler with these cpu's.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
IIRC, FX chips cannot be accurately measured in HWMonitor or programs like that.

What are you using to record temps? What kind of workload are you performing at the time? Stress test? Gaming?

I believe AMD OverDrive was an option at one point..... not sure if it still is.
Essentially OD measures headroom. So 20'C would be "20'C of headroom before shutdown" .... with throttling occuring in the 10'C and less range.

Getting an accurate reading for the chip would be a good place to start.

It may not be temp throttling though, depending on the motherboard you have.
Many boards "support" an 8350 in theory only. 125W TDPs, and boards build around the 95W chips. The power delivery just isn't capable of handling the higher wattage chips (and that's before you look at chips like the 9590's :lol:)

Jul 18, 2018

Over time the stress of the components is hitting lifetime, which usually affects the voltage regulation. If the voltage regulator modules (VRM) are getting too hot or are degraded, the frequency drops corresponding to the voltage.

The fix would be replacing the motherboard, but then you really should think about a new system.

Update the BIOS of the motherboard within BIOS itself via instantflash:
https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/970%20Extreme3%20R2.0/#BIOS

Maybe this can get it as stable as possible.

Here is a cool system, which should give you a bit of an idea, why your system can´t be that stable: (you can mute it and just look at the temperatures and frequency, the symptoms are the same like at your system. In the video a 6300 is used but overclocked to 4.2MHz which should be comparable to the default FX 8350)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkPW01VKdDs

If you can, get all back to the shop and get a stable system. Back in the days the only motherboard I would use with such a power consuming CPU would be a FX990 chipset motherboard with 8+2 power phase design (yours only have a 4 + 1 Power Phase Design). But there are better options out nowadays like Ryzen.

Jul 18, 2018
Thank but I just changed cooler master hyper212x with wraith cooler and it solved my problem.temp are a little high like 57°c during stress test but it is really stable . I don't know why is that can any one tell me the reason?

Jul 18, 2018
When I used cooler master and run it for 5 minutes stress test it throttle several time when reached 53°c .but with wraith cooler it didn't .I runned several stress test on wraith cooler like half a dozen . But it didn't throttle plus I also disabled CPU thermal throttling in BIOS for both coolers but cooler master still throttle at 53°c but wraith cooler didn't throttle at all.

Like said, the top down blower is helping the VRMs to breath, but doesn´t resolve the initial problem. How does your case ventilation look like?

You can try prime95 with the option smallFFT and run it for at least an hour. If this works, than you got lucky for now. The VRMs will degrade over time and you will get this problem sooner or later again.

Jul 18, 2018
The case ventilation is like36°c in HWmonitoring and I have only runned the test in overdrive for like10 minutes because games reach 70% CPU rarely which is far from 100% CPU usag. CPU when running overdrive for more than 10min CPU temps states stable but mobo temps went around 70°c.

First of all you are confusing things, you keep referring to vram while we talk about vrm, this are 2 complete different things. Also there are videocard vrm and motherboard vrm, in your case the problem is with motherboard vrm. Everything that has occurred is pointing to vrm overheating. If you use 212x and put a fan to blow directly towards motherboard vrm you will see everything will be fine.

EDIT: VRAM (Video Random Access Memory)
VRM (Voltage Regulator Module)

Jul 18, 2018
When I wrote vram I meant motherboard vrm.and the temp of vram is fine it is around 40 to 45°c.what I want to ask u is that will there be any problems like throttling with wraith cooler in the future or not.

The only real way to measure vrm,temp is remove the sink & use an infrared thermostat.

You're probably ok now with the wraith.
All the asrock pro & extreme 970 boards suffer vrm throttling with 8 core 125w chips

It even says on the compatibility chart to use a downblowing cooler with these cpu's.

Solution

Maybe for some platforms, for asus x99 motherboard they have thermal sensor even in vrm, i can measure my vrm tempt using Dual Intelligent Processor (their software). I m pulling 220W on vrm and they get to 55 degrees C. My videocards vrms get to 60-65 degrees (using a FLIR thermal camera for this ones, they dont have sensors).