G-FORCE 2 ULTRA Please Help me I beg you!

Damon0306

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
This is my 3rd G-FORCE-2 ULTRA card, and in a few days I will be returning it for a FULL refund. The card is horrible. I first tried a Creative Labs card, then returned it for a Hercules card, then returned the Hercules for yet another Hercules, all in all I had three of these cards all with the same problems.

My current setup is as follows.

Windows 2000 Pro, with every patch and update installed, with DirectX 8.0

ABIT BH6/384MB PC100 RAM/ PIII-850MHZ/COPPERMINE/100MHZ BUS

Adaptec AHA-2940U2W ULTRA-2/10,000rpm ULTRA-2 18.2G CHEETAH (3rd generation) Plextor UltraPlexWIDE/&/PlexWriter 12x4x32.

Creative Sound Blaster Live Value/LinkSys 10/100 PCI Eithernet Card.

***NEW ViewSonic 21' "A110" Monitor***

My old video card was a Viper 770 ULTRA TNT2, worked great, images looked awesome on it, never had any problems with it running it under Win2K with detonator 3 reference drivers from Nvidia.

HERE IS THE PROBLEM: The only thing that looks somewhat good on this card is the 3-DMark 2000. The demo looks pretty nice, but still have some visual problems.

The two problems are slight rippling on the screen that scrolls up from the bottom of the monitor going to the top. It's not constant, but on and off, almost as if I am getting some sort of interference. Its most noticable when the monitor is displaying dark colors, black, blue, you can actually see the ripples rolling up from the bottom of the screen.

The other problem is spirites or little white sparkling flecks when I am playing any OPENGL game.

Other then that the card runs great when I am in Windows. The desktop is super sharp, running at 1024x768 on a 21' monitor with 100HZ refresh.

This is my third G-FORCE 2 ULTRA, so its not the card, the other two did it also. I also tried the bundles hercules drivers and still same exact problems. I am not over-clocking the card, and the case has great cooling, but these symptoms seem to worsen the longer I run the card in a game that is asking a lot from the card.

I havent even loaded and over-clocking software so the card is running at spec, my system is not overclocked either.

WHATS GOING ON? Should I go back to my TNT-2? Maybe this is just a driver issue?!

Zenthar

Distinguished
Ok, now I am jealous :)

I have no real experience with your board or even Intel CPUs, but I did "succeed" building a Win2K system with nvidia card. But in order to achieve descent results I had to install some beta drivers for my motherboard and nVidia card (use 6.49 or above). If you are looking for these drivers, I think you can get them at www.reactorcritical.com.

G

Did you ever use your TNT card with your new monitor?
You might want to try lowering your refresh rate. I don't think you really need much more than 75Hz to avoid screen flicker. Having your refresh rate at 100Hz may be too much for even a Geforce2 Ultra to handle when dealing with a 3D game.

DSutcliffe

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It may be a function of the lighting around your computer. I have seen this problem with flourescent lighting. Flourescent lighting runs at 60Hz in most cases and having your screen refresh at a different rate than the lights will cause the "screen dancing" that you described. To fix the problem set your refresh on the card to 60Hz and see if that changes anything.

As far as the sprites in OpenGL, I get those also on my WinME system (Geforce2). It looks the worst at what would be the corners of a building or on flat dark surfaces. I don't know how to fix that.

T-Bird 800Mhz
2X IBM 75GXP 30GB in RAID0 config
Geforce2 32MB
SB Live

G

i think win 2000 doesnt play nice with games. hence the artifacts. also maybe your old motherboard cant handle it. on mine, which is the abit be6-2 it locks after an hour with Q3 using a geforce sdr!

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I also think that a 100 mhz refresh is a little insane. try at 85 mhz or even 75. You dont gain anything above 85 any way. you may be actually be have a problem with your older bx chipset board not supplying enough power to the agp port.

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!

G

Hi
This is a real shot in the dark but could it be PSU I know it sounds very odd but i have read somewhere that certain PSUs/AGP ports cant suply enough power for these mega cards/processors.
Also ask the mother board manufacturer or even the card manufacturer for advice, ie has the motherboard been tested with the ultra card, or has the card any special requirements. Does it require a 300w power supply for instance especially when you have so may other components installed.
As i say this is just a shot in the dark but I feel it would definitely be worth contacting the manufacturers of the card and mother board for advice.
Good Luck

Later
MAD1

G

I have the same problem when I overclock the memory on my G-Force ( past a certain point) . Even if the problem does not occur imideatly, little streaks and dots appear eventually. Since you said that you do not overclock, it might be that you have a heat issue. Also it could be a power problem, do you have a 300 watt supply? If not, you might want to invest in one. I have a BH6 and never had a problem with my video card. If you got time and knowledge you could try and take out all but the critical peripherals and see what happens.

More power to citrus!!!

killall

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
REFRESH RATE! CHANGE IT, i had the same problem on my old monitor, but the card was going at to low a setting either lower the setting on the monitor or raise it on the card if possible, i run hercules geforce2 gts 32mb ddr on a 22 inch lacie monitor, i run my desktop at 2048x1536@75hz i still havent had any problems

G

These suggestions are probably right my sys works perfectly:

Configz:
(1)WIN 98se – Using, (98 Lite Pro) to remove Internet Ex & options. Now 180mgs.
(2)300w ps
(3)800eb oc/857 w/Swiftech MC370-0A Cooler. 32/48,F
(4)CUSL2 Intel 815 w/big Sinks & Fans installed on all relevant chips. 63/77,F
(5)1-256mgz Crucial RAM (2/2/2)
(6)Diamond Max 40g/100-UDMA
(7) *3D Blaster Annihilator Ultra OC RAM (500). Installed bigger sinks 4"fan. all options full on exp/force anti-aliasing Running 1600x1200.
(8)View Sonic GS815 (21”). Not to bad-800 buckz. Would like SONY/Panasonic.
(9)SB-gamer using (2) Monsoon MM-700 Multimedia Speaker Sys’s. JUST KILLER SOUND
(10)Plexwriter 12/10/32

For what its worth? BDISK