existing B system. If the ISP's were the same I'd just
leech off of the neighbor<g> but they're not so that messes
up email and so on. Are there any settings that can be
changed in the G router to lower the signal strength? This
is especially annoying because the new laptop has wireless
G built in and won't connect to either one. (It keeps
connecting to the B like I have it setup but then loses the
connection every couple seconds). Are we screwed or is
there an easy way to resolve the B/G conflict?

<font color=purple>AMD XP 2200+, A7N8X Deluxe, 512mb PC3200 Corsair XMS DDR, Geforce3 Ti-500, Audigy Platinum, 230GB of HD's, TDK 48x CDRW, Lite-On 16x DVD, XP Pro SP1, and more neon than a ghetto sled </font color=purple>

KWPLunchbox

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2003
Let me simplify my previous post in an attempt to get a
response:

Is there anything I can go to keep the G network from
interfering with our B?

<font color=purple>AMD XP 2200+, A7N8X Deluxe, 512mb PC3200 Corsair XMS DDR, Geforce3 Ti-500, Audigy Platinum, 230GB of HD's, TDK 48x CDRW, Lite-On 16x DVD, XP Pro SP1, and more neon than a ghetto sled </font color=purple>

junbin

Distinguished
May 13, 2003
Just change the channel you use for your network until the two networks don't conflit. Even though there are 11 to 14 channels to choose from, most are layered on each other.. so you may have to go to the extreme (ie: channel 1 or 14).

hurlmp68

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2003
Yea..there are really 3 unique channels. 1, 6, and 11. Find out what channel the G AP is using, and pick one of the other two.

muddrok

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2003
I run both a G and a B on two seperate ISPs in my home, and have had the same trouble. What I have used to fix this is two things. One is when using XP by default it will seek out and connect to the strongest signal. YOu need to fiddle with the settings of your wirless NIC and set it to so that it connects to what you want and in a certain order. Also like the others have said try picking a different channel and also I have found that using encryption helps to keep mine "locked" onto the correct AP. Also if for some reason one of the ISPs goes down the operating system senses that there isn't a connection to the internet via that wireless AP and will dump it and seek out the one that is connected or stronger...good luck

KWPLunchbox

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2003
Thanks for the tips. I've already tried this stuff though. I talked to the neighbor and got them to stop broadcasting the SSID and that solved the problem. I've got a new problem though that I am going to talk about in a new post.