G.Skill 2x2 gig 4-4-4-12

jjblanche

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
Hey guys. I've been digging around for RAM, and found this on NewEgg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231148

It seems to be in line with what I'm looking for. Is G.Skill a reputable brand?

Also, there is another G.Skill 2x2 that has a slower 5 latency, but is $50 cheaper after the rebate. How exactly does latency affect performance?

If the front side bus of my system is running at less than 400, which it will probably be, will I need to *lower* the speed of this RAM to match it?

itotallybelieveyou

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2007
yes G-Skill is fairly reputable. One latency isn't going performance by alot. They might make a big difference you are overclocking. Howmuch? I don't really know. You don't HAVE to match the FSB and RAM. You could though.

jjblanche

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
I know you need a patch before both sticks become fully operational. I've also been told it's good to install Vista first, then do the patch, then install the other 2 gig. Will only one stick of this work at a time, or is this the type of ram where 2 sticks need to be used before it becomes operational?

cisco

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2004
G Skills has been an up and comer that has made a pretty decent name for themselves making solid performing ram at a reasonable price. My personal favorites are OCZ, Corsair XMS, and Crucial. As far as budget brands G Skill and Patriot are pretty decent. I would personally go with a 4x1gig but if your goal is to go with 8gigs this wouldn't be a bad way to go.

jedimasterben

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2007
Patch? Huh? I've been running 64-bit Vista since Beta 2 days, and it's NEVER needed a patch to run 4gigs.

G.Skill is reputable, yes. I don't use anything else. I have the ultra low latency DDR2 modules (4-4-3-5) running at 950MHz now and still the same latency.

There is no such thing as RAM that requires two sticks to operate. Once you have two matching sticks in adjacent slots, however, dual-channel mode is activated, theoretically doubling bandwidth. But, with today's processors, dual channel doesn't do much anymore. It's still good to have, though.

dashbarron

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2007

Ever hear of Rambus....