[SOLVED] G.SKILL DDR3 memory won't fit in ASUS Z97-A memory slot?

achillezz

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2013
Hi all,

I recently acquired the G.SKILL Ripjaws 240 pin desktop F3-2400MHz DDR3 memory for my system.
Amazon link is here:
https://www.amazon.com/G-SKILL-Ripj...00DH9M3C4/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

For some reason this won't fit in my motherboard memory slot (Asus Z97-A, i7-4790K). The heat sink seems to stop the memory from going down into the slot. As a result the memory cannot be initialized. Is this a known issue or/and is there a known workaround for this? Seems crazy that the heat sink stops the memory from going into the actual slot. Wouldn't G.SKILL know this is an issue? On their configurator site it shows the memory should fit!

thanks!

Solution
It seems you are trying to install new ram without first removing the heatsink. Most average tower coolers, all you'd need do is remove the fan first.

DDR3 is all the same, as is the DDR3 slots on the motherboard. It fits. RipJaws isn't especially tall ram and fits under almost all coolers and fans without issue. Only the largest heatsinks actually cover the 2nd slot and there's only a couple that broach the 3rd/4th slots, so what it boils down to is you are trying to put your socks on, when you haven't taken off your shoes first. Claiming your socks don't fit.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It seems you are trying to install new ram without first removing the heatsink. Most average tower coolers, all you'd need do is remove the fan first.

DDR3 is all the same, as is the DDR3 slots on the motherboard. It fits. RipJaws isn't especially tall ram and fits under almost all coolers and fans without issue. Only the largest heatsinks actually cover the 2nd slot and there's only a couple that broach the 3rd/4th slots, so what it boils down to is you are trying to put your socks on, when you haven't taken off your shoes first. Claiming your socks don't fit.

Solution