G.Skill DDR4-3800 32GB SODIMM Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
That's the price of ONE STICK of the cheaper RAM, because the cheaper RAM is sold in single sticks.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
So you say you want DDR4-3800 to be cheaper than DDR4-2400? Great, LMK where you found that $24k supercar and then WE'LL talk :D

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You're talking about long DIMMs or year-old prices? That 2400 price shown is for ONE 8GB module. 8GB. Not 32GB. There was a price run-up throughout 2017.

richardgraham651

Prominent
Jan 20, 2018
Must be one of the most badly written articles ever on Tom's Hardware. The total balls up with the price comparison is bad enough but the entire article is just thrown together, badly written and pretty much useless.
Probably had to meet the deadline by the editor but was still in a jumbled mess from a long night on the piss.
Crap article - Not the usual standard here.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The proper prices were used in the charts. Regarding the problem of a single-module DDR4-2400 price being shown in the shopping link, I can't fix the internet.

lsatenstein

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2012
Its ridiculous that Dimms are priced at more then the CPU. Greed hath no limit. Look at the worlds population makeup. Most of the adults were born post war, between 1945 and 1950. We 70 year old boomers don't have the money to spend on hardware that is triple overpriced. Its time that gpu and ddr manufacturers wake up to the fact that seniors are not buying new systems, and the reason is that the new systems are priced way to high. Give me 32Gigs of 2800 mhz ddr4 for $100, and bring the gpu items down to $200, and manufacturers will find reams of senior aged customers that will upgrade their systems.

Our flat panel TV uses as much ram as a gpu. The flatpanel TV costs substantially less than any laptop or desktop that has comparable compute power. That's my argument as to what is wrong with hardware today.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
There was a run on DRAM last year in the futures market due to predictions of tight supply. While you may not get your 32GB for $100 in the near future, I wouldn't be surprised if current pricing was halved. I'd be less surprised if it went down 30% and went back up 20% from that point though, due to speculation manipulating prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.