G.Skill Embraces AMD Ryzen With Flare X And Fortis Series DDR4

Status
Not open for further replies.

mapesdhs

Distinguished
Nathaniel, why in the opening paragraph do you refer to a "hype train", and then include a line in quotes about the RAM being designed for AM4 as if to mock the claim? Have you critiqued RAM designed for Intel CPUs elsewhere in the same manner? I've personally experienced the case where a DDR4 RAM kit didn't work on an X99 board despite being supposedly XMP compliant (had to return and choose another), so if GSkill is saying here is RAM we guarantee will work with Ryzen, surely that's a good thing? And btw, the FlareX kits at 3200MHz appear to have lower latencies than Intel-focused kits, that's good too isn't it?

Why can't you just report the facts? Why the sceptical overtone? There's no need for it. Ryzen has proved itself quite well in reviews where it can show its strengths, I see no need to include this tone when reporting new compatible memory products. If you want to moan about RAM, how about doing something useful and explain why memory prices have shot up so much recently? Ditto SSD prices? And it's nothing to do with any RAM shortage, that's nonsense. Some kits have gone up 50%, others as much as 100%. The 850 EVO is 80% more than it was a year or so ago. If there are claims of a shortage then please provide evidence, don't just take the companies' word for it. Investigate. Otherwise it's just price gouging. It's great that Ryzen is a lot cheaper than the upper Intel CPUs, but that benefit is largely lost if other costs have gone up so much as to wipe out the difference saving.

Tech sites need to return to some proper probing of the seedier side of this industry, because what's been going on in the last year or two really stinks.

Ian.

mapesdhs

Distinguished
Nathaniel, as if to underscore my point above, check out the following:

https://www.scan.co.uk/search?q=LN69029

That kit was listed as being 186 UKP, awaiting stock. I'd submitted a question about AM4 compatibility, because it's far better value then the "officially" compatible kits listed elsewhere on the site. No reply to my question, but yesterday the kit suddenly had an ETA but the price has gone up eighty percent to 333 UKP. Notice my unanswered question contains, "I'm trying to work out why this kit is not on the list but the more expensive and less efficient LN68999 is on the list."

When are tech sites going to investigate this b.s.? Because I'm heartily sick of it. SSDs, RAM... how else are consumers being ripped off? Do tech sites know about it? What do they know that users don't?

Ian.

Status
Not open for further replies.