[SOLVED] G. Skill lighting control slow to change color after boot

emitfudd

Honorable
Apr 9, 2017
I am using the G. Skill Trident Z lighting control to change the color of my RAM sticks. F4-3600C16D-32GTZN. I have it set to the breathing effect in all red. When I boot my computer or resume from hibernate it starts out at the default rainbow color and then changes to red. I previously had Corsair Vengeance LED RAM but it was a red LED kit so that was the default. Is it normal for this G. Skill kit to do this or is there a way to keep it red from the moment it powers up?

Solution
Nope, its not possible to do so, it can be controlled only by RGB software so any changes made cant be in effect prior to OS boot. Before OS it is receiving power from motherboard with no control so it can only light up with default unicorn.

The way DDR4 RGB works is a little bit of a hax.
DDR4 RGB has no way to make that permanent, physical pins on RAM have no native RGB data link (RGB came after DDR4 was specced out by JEDEC)
when RAM powers up, bios reads RAM though SPD I2C eeprom, SPD gets loaded only once, so this SMBUS data link is unused later on, here comes RGB software into play, which uses this SPD data link to control that RGB.

DDR5 on the other hand has native control link to multiple I2Cs which can make bios RGB...
Nope, its not possible to do so, it can be controlled only by RGB software so any changes made cant be in effect prior to OS boot. Before OS it is receiving power from motherboard with no control so it can only light up with default unicorn.

DDR4 RGB has no way to make that permanent, physical pins on RAM have no native RGB data link (RGB came after DDR4 was specced out by JEDEC)
when RAM powers up, bios reads RAM though SPD I2C eeprom, SPD gets loaded only once, so this SMBUS data link is unused later on, here comes RGB software into play, which uses this SPD data link to control that RGB.

DDR5 on the other hand has native control link to multiple I2Cs which can make bios RGB control on ram possible, if RAM makers already implemented it, no idea, but DDR5 JEDEC specs makes this possible.

Solution

emitfudd

Honorable
Apr 9, 2017

DDR5 on the other hand has native control link to multiple I2Cs which can make bios RGB control on ram possible, if RAM makers already implemented it, no idea, but DDR5 JEDEC specs makes this possible.
It's odd because my MSI 3080 Gaming Z Trio stays red all the time. Even when I installed it on a new motherboard, it retained the setting I chose even before I reinstalled Mystic Light. I can also exit out of mystic light and it stays red. If I exit out of G. Skill lighting control it will eventually go back to the default color until I open the app again.

It's odd because my MSI 3080 Gaming Z Trio stays red all the time. Even when I installed it on a new motherboard, it retained the setting I chose even before I reinstalled Mystic Light. I can also exit out of mystic light and it stays red. If I exit out of G. Skill lighting control it will eventually go back to the default color until I open the app again.
its not weird if youre comparing two different hardware pieces